Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Astra G Air Con not working

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)

Astra G Air Con not working

Had my Ar con On my Astra G 1.6 8v recharged today as was empty due to fitting a new rad for it. I when to Formula 1 autocentre to have it recharged.

Filled the system with no problems. When they tested to see if it was working, all they got was warmish air coming out. They even had a good look to see what was wrong with it, they suggested it maybe a fuse or the clutch on the compressor.

Anyway got back home and I've had a look myself, I've checked the fuse inside the car they looked fine to me but I changed them anyway, still nothing.
    I did notice that the clutch on my compressor wasn't moving whilst I had the car running.

Anyone got any ideas?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    I've had another look at this today. I'm not getting 12v at the compressor terminals. I get the yellow light come on on the air con switch.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Just a hunch but try removing the pressure switch plug form the side of the condenser, its on the left side and faces up so is prone to corrosion. If its not making good contact the system wont switch on the compressor.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Mentioned in
    38 Post(s)
    The place you had it recharged at did leave gas in it?
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah they left the gas in it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayresyy View Post
    Just a hunch but try removing the pressure switch plug form the side of the condenser, its on the left side and faces up so is prone to corrosion. If its not making good contact the system wont switch on the compressor.
    Is that the one on the Air con rad? If so, will I need to remove the fount bumper to get to it?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    The plug is prone to breaking. My old one broke when I replaced my radiator. Fortunately, the replacement rad came with the wiring for the fans so it was just a straightforward swap. Also, try disconnecting the multiplug and putting it back in. It is behind the front bumper just ahead of the nearside front wheel. It is in an exposed position and reseating the connector might help. Are both fans working?
    2001 Astra LS 1.6 16v (Y536 ORO)
    1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
    Check out my Blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Yes its a bit fiddly to get at but you won't need the bumper off, just reach down behind the front crash bar, it's on the left of the condenser. If it looks clean with shiny pins then it's more than likely ok so then push it back as it's possibly not the issue. I have seen a few with water in the socket, and some all corroded.

If you have op-com/tech2 or know someone that does that would be very useful in narrowing down your problem.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Guy View Post
    The plug is prone to breaking. My old one broke when I replaced my radiator. Fortunately, the replacement rad came with the wiring for the fans so it was just a straightforward swap. Also, try disconnecting the multiplug and putting it back in. It is behind the front bumper just ahead of the nearside front wheel. It is in an exposed position and reseating the connector might help. Are both fans working?
    Will try disconnecting the multiplug and pluging it back in. As for the fans, they both work as far as I know. I did have a problem a few months back when both fans would run contently, that was solved by replacing the coolant module.

Quote Originally Posted by ayresyy View Post
    Yes its a bit fiddly to get at but you won't need the bumper off, just reach down behind the front crash bar, it's on the left of the condenser. If it looks clean with shiny pins then it's more than likely ok so then push it back as it's possibly not the issue. I have seen a few with water in the socket, and some all corroded.

If you have op-com/tech2 or know someone that does that would be very useful in narrowing down your problem.
    Will have a look at that. As for Op-com, I do a one.

Here's what I could found when I had a look on Op-com.
    A/C Coding (Air Conditioning), A/C Detected.
    A/C Information Switch (Air Conditioning), Active 12V When it's off it's in active 0v.
    A/C Load Signal (Air Conditioning), Inactive.
    A/C Pressure, 1.80bar.
    A/C Request (Air Conditioning), Inactive 12V.

That's all I could find.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    1.8 bar Pressure indicates either system undercharged, faulty pressure switch or faulty connectors/wiring to the pressure switch. The system is likely to show inactive as it either 'thinks' its low on refrigerant or it actually is.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast