Thread: ECN P2279 - Intake Air System Leak Detected - Advice Needed

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ECN P2279 - Intake Air System Leak Detected - Advice Needed

Guys, Please could you have a look at the below and let me know if there is anything else that could cause these symptoms? I have read through endless amount of threads trying to resolve this and nothing I’ve tried seems to fix it.

Car Spec
    Astra H 1.9cdti 150
    Year 2007
    Mileage 50,000

Symptoms

· ECN - P2279 Intake Air System Leak Detected B-035
    · Lack of power at low engine revs. Below 2200rpm. (Intermittent)
    · Black smoke from Exhaust (Intermittent)
    · Engine revs fluctuates when idle especially when engine is cold (intermittent)

Action Already Taken

· Cleaned EGR Valve with EGR Cleaner and tested by connecting it directly to a 12V battery. The pin moved upon applying the power.
    · Cleaned Boost Sensor using EGR Cleaner
    · Disconnected power to Boost Sensor and the car went Limp Mode, upon reconnecting power car went back to how it was before disconecting
    · Disconnected power to MAF Sensor and the car went Limp Mode, upon reconnecting power car went back to how it was before disconnecting
    · Checked the Swirl flaps and the rod is moving upon increasing engine revs and all seems okay.

I dismissed this issue being caused by an air leak as the fault code states, as I would of expeced the symptoms to be consistant and not change on a day to day basis. I also dismsissed the issue being caused by a faulty Boost or Maf Sensor due to the car going straight into limp mode when I disconnect the power to the sensors. please correct me if I am wrong in doing so.

Any Info/Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
    Gary

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you eliminated that there's not ACTUALLY an air leak?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maracus View Post
    Have you eliminated that there's not ACTUALLY an air leak?
    Hi Marcus,

Thanks for you quick response, I dismissed the issue being caused by an air leak due to the fact the the symptoms are intermittent. The car can be fine one day and not the next.

Please correct me if I'm wrong to assume this?

Gary

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it was mine I'd be looking very closely around the swirl flaps tbh...

5. The following members like this post:

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers mate, I'll have another look as all I did was check to see if the rod was moving and all of the flaps where connected to it. Is there any specific I need to check for?

I did notice the was movement in the rod and having done further research this is normal apparently!?!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The posts I've read about P2279 on the 1.9cdti say its more than likely a problem with the EGR valve.

Did you do the complete cleaning job including disaasembling the solenoid part as described in the sticky? Its important as it gets gummed up as well.

You saw movement of the EGR valve but after cleaning and reassembly it would be good to check that it actually closes air tight. And it would be a good idea to use new gaskets as well making sure to torque the bolts up to spec.

Sometimes though it seems the only way to sort the P2279 is to install a new EGR valve. I think it may be because the old one no longer seals perfactly well.

8. The following members like this post:

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.spencer View Post
    The posts I've read about P2279 on the 1.9cdti say its more than likely a problem with the EGR valve.

Did you do the complete cleaning job including disaasembling the solenoid part as described in the sticky? Its important as it gets gummed up as well.

You saw movement of the EGR valve but after cleaning and reassembly it would be good to check that it actually closes air tight. And it would be a good idea to use new gaskets as well making sure to torque the bolts up to spec.

Sometimes though it seems the only way to sort the P2279 is to install a new EGR valve. I think it may be because the old one no longer seals perfactly well.
    Yeah did the complete job as per the sticky.

I can't say for certain whather or not the valve was air tight when closed. I think I'm going to try blocking off the EGR completely and see if that helps before purchasing a new EGR Valve. If I remember correctly the gasket between the EGR and Exhaust pipe was slightly warped so I'll try new gaskets also.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep you posted.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had exactly the same issue last week with the same engine and the same problem. Mine was due to fact that like most amateur mechanics I don't possess a torque rachet so I hadn't tightened the bolts enough. I'd also look at replacing the gaskets (£6 from Vauxhall for both) unless your totally happy that they are fine (I didn't replace mine incidentally). Finally I took the opportunity to remove the MAF sensor and blasted it with carb cleaner. No more codes and the car running better than ever with fuel consumption also improved!
    Vauxhall Astra estate 1.9 CDTi SRi 150bhp