Thread: common faults with astra 1.7 mk4 or 1.7 mk5?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow Astra_sleeper On Twitter

common faults with astra 1.7 mk4 or 1.7 mk5?

hello people from the dark side my mate is looking at buying a vauxhall astra van, ive warned him off the 1.9cdti as iv heard a few bad things about them including the common flywheel problem. are there 2 different engines in the mk4 (roughly 2003/2004) and a mk5 (same sort of age)? are there any common problems with the 1.7's? and anything to look out for when buying?

any advice would be welcome

cheers guys
    Z20LET conversion, VXR hybrid turbo, lightened flywheel, beeson intake, 888dan tophat & xev cam/pulley, 3" CKS exhaust, 5 paddle clutch, BACK ON ROAD!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astra_sleeper View Post
    hello people from the dark side my mate is looking at buying a vauxhall astra van, ive warned him off the 1.9cdti as iv heard a few bad things about them including the common flywheel problem. are there 2 different engines in the mk4 (roughly 2003/2004) and a mk5 (same sort of age)? are there any common problems with the 1.7's? and anything to look out for when buying?

any advice would be welcome
    cheers guys
    Pedal test to see error codes. Pretty solid and reliable engines is the DTi, if they've been loked after. Feel underneath the fuel pump for diesel leaks (located at the back, bottom left hand side of the engine. Others will be able to give you more info. Just ensure that the engine pulls well and smoothly accelerates.
    Hope this helps and good luck

Richard

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow Astra_sleeper On Twitter
    Thanks for that mate, I'm quite knowledgable with the patrols but I know very little about diesels in general tbh
    Z20LET conversion, VXR hybrid turbo, lightened flywheel, beeson intake, 888dan tophat & xev cam/pulley, 3" CKS exhaust, 5 paddle clutch, BACK ON ROAD!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    pff for that year you will find 1.7 dti and 1.7cdti in mk4 and 1.7 cdti in the mk5. Had the same wondering around last summer when i got my mk4 dti, why i got it? as it is a strong engine and pretty nit car does most of the things well very low on diesel, and pretty reliable if looked after as any car.

As far as I know: 1.7 dti very common issues are: diesel pump edu suffers of cold soldering joints (i redone my one just to be on the safe side), diesel pump timing solenoid tends to leak through the plug creating a mess without a error code, pain to change and kind of expensive to replace with a new one (150£) this happened with mine; a lot of people say about the oil pump pulley coming of, so that is to be checked, oil coolers ten to go (result: oil in the coolant expansion tank- did not happen personally but had to change on a friends car); drop links go enough just to create a small noise and a weird feeling in the steering wheel but not a mot failure, vacuum hoses on turbo tend to give up do to age, auxiliary belt creates issues when starting to make noise (irregular idle); aaaaaaa and almost forgot DTi does a bit of noise compared to other diesels around.

For the cdti (a good friend has a 54 mk4 ): injectors go - this was also mentioned before by others, oil coolers go also, pretty solid engine, the only thing that differs by the dti is the injection being common rail, ECU play up sometimes related to injectors, turbo tends to go faster then in the dti, should be lower diesel consummation as the dti but is equal in the best case if not slightly lower; much more silent engine.