Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Z16XEP timing belt tensioner

Astra H Z16XEP

Right basically im timing me car up and I cant seem to figure out how to get the tensioner right, I can tension the belt fine how it should be done, tighten the torx bolt then use 6mm allen key to rotate it anti clockwise until it sits in the locking position then tighten the torx bolt fully

BUT!! the tensioner keeps moving back and forth when engine is running also making the belt move right to the front of the pulleys making it rub on timing covers making a screeching noise??

I have tried loads and loads to get this right done it 30-40 times now, but still the belt slips towards from of pulley and rubs I didn't have a locking pin for the tensioner and so just removed it hoping I could just put it back on (its how I have been doing every car for years now) but this bloody engine will not do it!!

I literally don't know what to do now im stuck, does anyone know how to do it properly??

the pulleys are not bent etc.. as iv changed them all to make sure, blet stays tight! but its just not working, and starting to take metal off the block where the tensioning little stick has scraped on it...some help really appreciated ASAP!

cheers
    Brin

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what does the timing belt tensioner pointer have to line up to?? I didn't look when taking it off and really confused atm...any pics I wud appreciate

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Mentioned in
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brin1307 View Post
    what does the timing belt tensioner pointer have to line up to?? I didn't look when taking it off and really confused atm...any pics I wud appreciate
    normally it has to line up with the marking for 'new belt'. although absent on XEP

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think these are spring loaded, there are no marks. You are meant to apply tension with the allen key before removing and lock it off with a pin, then when the belt is fitted remove the pin

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes they are spring loaded buddy, let me rephrase the question, io have by mistake taken the complete tensioner off without remembering how it sit...I have a good idea how it should sit got some pics now aswel to show everyone

but I just want advise as to how I refit the tensioner if you have taken it off completely from the engine!

I see a small pin hole on the outter edge of the tension pully housing, but when on the vehicle if you turn it clockwise to release tension as the Haynes manual and varies internet sources says then the hole remains under the timing cover (one behind the camsahfts so cant remove it otherwise u wudnt be able to pull pin back out) so I cant understand how you put the pin in??

I have had it tensioned properly but the belt keeps slipping to the right front of the tensioner and making a squeaking noise, ONLY ON TICKOVER! though, when u rev the car the noise completely goes?? but 100% sure its on timing belt

if I remove the alternator belt and bottom timing cover the noise goes away and engines runs, if I refit bottom timing cover noise comes back! I don't understand why the belt seems to touch the timing cover?

will upload pics later tonight

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right this is the mouting area notice how iv scratched it all trying to turn it with allen key!

This is how the pulley should be sat imo (not bolted down tight hence why its sat where i need it lol)

This is where i think the pin is meant to go as u can see once turned clockwise no chance of getting anything in there! (looks closly can see the little hole near top)

this is wear i feel the little stick connected to the internal spring should sit (not bolted tight)

This is wear it sits when tightened LOL :/

and with it sat there the belt slips to front of pulleys someone please help!!
    little vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wL9LDIEG3cQ

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is there something on the back of the roller that is meant to sit in that slot next to where the bolt goes

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes sorry should of taken a pic its like a metal lug that sits in that recess...but with the belt on the pulleys u can NOT! put the lug into the hole, you have to bolt it on in the incorrect position then use the 6mm allen key to drag it across until it drops in hence all the marks

you can not put the tensioner on first them try and pull it back and put the belt on because there is just not enough give in the belt ...if it wasn't spring loaded it would be easy but because it has to sit in the certain position for it to work its so hard

I bolt it onto position with the lug etc... without timing belt on, then pull it back and the belt wont fit have to remove it first, and how in the hell would u get a drill bit in that hole when the bloody rear cover is in the way -_- that's just pointless that hole imo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well the spring should definitely sit in the recess, the pic I've got has the allen key hole at 7 o'clock and the pin hole at 2 o'clock.

with the belt on, how much can you rotate the tensioner clockwise?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not too sure its not too much...not enough to remove the belt, like maybe a quarter turn but impossible to remove belt that tight no matter what

and my tensioners allen key is at around 4 oclock I believe?

at 7 oclock that should be tension released??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast