Thread: Astra Van 2000 1.7 Dti / Fitting Boost Gauge / Bleed Valve

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)

Astra Van 2000 1.7 Dti / Fitting Boost Gauge / Bleed Valve

I tried fitting a bleed valve on my van this weekend , along with a boost gauge so i could work out what boost it was running.
    Ive read previous threads and it says to put a T-Piece between the turbo and actuator . My turbo doesnt have this ? , I have a pipe going from the back of the actuator round behind the engine to what i think is a boost solenoid .. I put a T-Piece onto this pipe to see if it created a Vacuum and the boost gauge read nothing.

http://www.turboactive.com/ProductPa...mSearchPage=No ... This is the same turbo that is fitted to my van ?

Any Info on how to fit a boost gauge and bleed valve would be good ?
    Or can it not be done on this setup ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    fitting the guage in this line only reads the vac produced by the pump at the back of the alternator,
    you need to fit the guage to the pipework leading from the turbo to the engine,
    you can fit the bleed valve also but without a remap for additional fuel you wont see much of a gain,
    i can easily say this as i have tryed almost everything possible to this engine.

where abouts are you based?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astrasteve View Post
    fitting the guage in this line only reads the vac produced by the pump at the back of the alternator,
    you need to fit the guage to the pipework leading from the turbo to the engine,
    you can fit the bleed valve also but without a remap for additional fuel you wont see much of a gain,
    i can easily say this as i have tryed almost everything possible to this engine.

where abouts are you based?

just an educated guess are you in colchester?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    My step brothers the mechanic , he put the boost gauge from the pipe that comes off the actuator but we still got no reading ? ..... Its as if theres no boost what so ever ? , when we was looking we didnt take off any of the covers that cover the turbo ? , he said that the only pipe he could see/ or what was there was the one that comes off the actuator. Yes mate im from stanway in colchester.

Ive just done the vectra intake mod / air intake / K&N panel filter
    Then im going to decat / Middle section
    Intercooler
    Boost gauge / Bleed valve and then do the remap

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doff_thebizz View Post
    My step brothers the mechanic , he put the boost gauge from the pipe that comes off the actuator but we still got no reading ? ..... Its as if theres no boost what so ever ? , when we was looking we didnt take off any of the covers that cover the turbo ? , he said that the only pipe he could see/ or what was there was the one that comes off the actuator. Yes mate im from stanway in colchester.

Ive just done the vectra intake mod / air intake / K&N panel filter
    Then im going to decat / Middle section
    Intercooler
    Boost gauge / Bleed valve and then do the remap
    I don't want to be too rude here. But your step brother doesn't seem a very knowledgeable mechanic.

Boost gauges need to be run off an actual turbo boost pipe. So you need to tap in to the pipes coming off the turbo, so look to put one in -
    Turbo to Intercooler pipe
    Or intercooler to intake pipe.

These will give you proper boost.

The boost control valve should either be fitted pre or post boost solenoid. Unfortunately I'm not sure which! I think the idea is that as the boost hits what the ECU wants, it activates the boost solenoid and sucks the actuator/ operating the wastegate. Installing the manual boost control will cause an air leak when opened, I guess it will take longer then to reach required PSI and therefore will hold the wastegate shut longer? So your boost gauge will show a higher PSI. It's basically tricking the ECU.

In short, boost gauge needs to be fitted to a boost pipe, and the boost controller needs to be fitted either before or after the boost solenoid.

Hope some of this helps... not all is clear sorry. Steve will probably know more

this is a useful guide on boost control http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFIGXfZpjgQ so basically, fit it between boost solenoid and actuator =]

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    pop the guage into the intercooler pipe via a tapped in nipple,
    the bleed valve wants putting on a tee piece in the pipe that runs round the engine
    the turbo is vac controlled so you WONT get any pressure via the actuator lines

then get a remap to get real gains from it!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobAstraVanMK4 View Post
    I don't want to be too rude here. But your step brother doesn't seem a very knowledgeable mechanic.

That is all.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info , will give it a try soon and hope that it works ... Just out of curiosity whats a safe psi to run these at ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    well i ran 2 bar on my old van lol
    but i was on a massive quest for power!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Hahaha not looking for ferrarai spec lol , just wanna give it a little bit more of a kick up the ass ... I heard they run 14psi standard ???? so would 18psi be a safe bet ?