Thread: My first question: 1.9 cdti new EGR, now spanner light & fault codes P2452 and P242F

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question My first question: 1.9 cdti new EGR, now spanner light & fault codes P2452 and P242F

Hi
    This is my first question on AOC but firstly I want to say thank you that you're all here!!!

I have a 1.9 cdti T-Top 150ps (late 56) it has worked hard and is now at 94k but with no problems until a week ago.

It suddenly had the problem of loss of power, (below 2000 revs) then into Limp mode. I had the car checked and was told I needed a new DPF (£850)

Yesterday, I got stranded on the way to the garage. A well known rescue company came to tow me in but he asked if he could check the codes himself. He found the fault to be P2279 - air intake leak. I had already read about this on AOC, so got towed home instead, to do some more research before spending a fortune. In the afternoon, having read everything I could on the forums, we removed and cleaned the EGR.
    However mine was totally kaput - so purchased a new one instead, which I installed thanks to picture instructions and masses of info from here. :-) The car worked fine again! Then the spanner light came on.

It is still working fine this morning but I have learnt here and done the pedal test, which reveals P242F and P2452 - which I understand from the codes list here, both indicate DPF.

I have searched for the information I need but my questions are:

1. Could these codes have been stored from before and need clearing? P2279 was the first code showing, so would they have been in reverse order?

2. If not, would these indicate that the DPF needs to regenerate and if so, will the regeneration clear the faults? (I don't want to tear up the motorway if I am going to do more damage than good)

3. Can the codes be cleared by me, to see if they show up again?

4. Does anyone have any further suggestions.?

Your help would greatly appreciated and if possible in layman's terms - I am a beginner.

Many thanks
    Sarah

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the first thing i would suggest is disconnect the battery for half hour or so!

this will clear any fault codes stored

im not an expert on the dpf situation so cant really offer more info im afraid - certainly sounds like it may just need to regenerate but that in itself is a far too complex situation for me to even attempt to answer.

not the answer you want i know but its a start and if u can clear the codes and at least start afresh it may give u a better idea.

HTH and good luck!!! will be watching this closely see if anyone can assist further

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    quick google found this: http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....it-mean-please

if you google "P2452 Vauxhall" then you may have a bit of luck

sorry if this is what youve already tried

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you so much for the response and information. :-)

I have read the link and first, will try the battery trick in the morning.

The car is currently driving as good, if not better than before..loads of power throughout the box. So unless there is an underlying and yet unknown problem, I am hoping that doing the battery trick, will turn of the spanner for this episode.

If it comes back up, I will check that sneaky little pipe.

I understand about the DPF regeneration but having held it at 3000 for 20 mins - I can only guess that it did one. There are no indicators to successful regen :-(

I say again, though - thank you for the advice. I hope I can 'pass it on' to someone here one day.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    An indicator that a regen is taking place is Lots Of Smoke, Car Smells really Hot, Deeper exhaust tone & the instant consumption displayed on the Board Computer at tickover jumps from the usual 0.1 to 0.9 or higher

I used to think my Turbo had popped with the Bluey clouds then realised it was a regen

Dean

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the pipes to the dpf pressure sensor are very prone to breaking, makes the engine go into limp mode.

A dpf is basically a soot trap in the exhaust, when it fills to a certain level it requires a Regen to burn of the soot and empty the filter.

for a Regen to happen the car needs to have maintained a speed of over 50mph for a minimum of 20mins at around 3000rpm. but if the dpf is more then 80% full it will not carry out a Regen and will need replacing. So if u only drive around town the dpf will never carry out a Regen, and fill to this point.

when a Regen happens the ecu adjusts the engine timing and signals the injectors to give an extra spray just after combustion has taken place in the cylinder, causing fuel to enter the exhaust. this then causes the exhaust to heat up (around 300 oC) and burn off the soot in the dpf.

basically a Regen sets fire to the dpf to burn off the soot within it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Once again thank you for the information.

Since my last post, the spanner sign remains but the car is running really well!
    However I now have a new light - the battery warning, I was wondering if this is all connected somehow?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I forgot to add - I blat up and down motorways regularly for work but.. it was left sitting for 6 weeks, whilst I worked abroad, during the really wet weather. Upon my return it needed new brakes etc... so popped it in for a service. Its since then that all this has happened... very frustrating!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i just had the battery light last week,alternator knackd,got it towed home,new one fitted to find gearbox gone too???????coincidence???not a happy bunny then...all fixed now and £1100 worse off