Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: z20let into astra G sri (x20xev)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)

z20let into astra G sri (x20xev)

hi all
    hopeing to get alot of help off this forum over the nxt couple of weeks.
    i have recently brought a 2000 astra sri and also brought a complete z20let with box, ecu, keys and all rads. basicly everything needed to put in my car.

however i have a few questions.
    my car has cable throttle and the engine im collecting this weekend is cable throttle, so will i have to mess with the wiring under the dash? or will this just plug and play? lol

also does anyone know where i can get a cheap complete gsi exhaust system?

many thanks for any help or advice
    eddie

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybubble View Post
    hi all
    hopeing to get alot of help off this forum over the nxt couple of weeks.
    i have recently brought a 2000 astra sri and also brought a complete z20let with box, ecu, keys and all rads. basicly everything needed to put in my car.

however i have a few questions.
    my car has cable throttle and the engine im collecting this weekend is cable throttle, so will i have to mess with the wiring under the dash? or will this just plug and play? lol

also does anyone know where i can get a cheap complete gsi exhaust system?

many thanks for any help or advice
    eddie

Ive been down the same route with my old sri (x20xev) and i had to get a new throttle pedal and dash loom from a Z20let also i had to get ne airbag ecu's as these have diffrent connections. Hope this helps you a little
    Zafira GSI - With a nice touch

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    many thanks for that.

i think, with what i have been told from the owner. that this engine is a turbo'd x20xev with z20let internals, injectors and fuel reglator.

from what i have been reading, this can be plugged straight into my astra (F23 gearbox in car already) and be run from the standerd ecu. think i read that it can deal with low boost (no other mods planned)
    now i have asked the previous owner of the engine, if the ecu (which comes with the engine) has been mapped. he is not sure and cant remember if it has had a remap.

can the ecu be remapped?? or wil i need to piggy back the system? (cost envolved?)

the engine has a 62mm cable operated TB im not sure but am thinking this might be standerd x20xev TB??

i know it has the standerd x20xev inlet cam but am unsure till it gets here to what sort of exhaust cam it has (x20, z20).

the previous owner had it advertised as a z20let? still trying to work out the differances between the engines.

just panicking now because the x20 in the car at the moment is kinda sick lol and needing the transplant, but has to be done in one weekend. due to being a daily drive and kids transport lol and a divorce will be in the making if it does not go according to plan. lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    I have done this years ago same car
    you need to change the dash loom also
    and its plug and play after that

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    The previous owner to that engine didn't have it down as a z20let. He told him it was a x20xev but turbo'd. I know as my mate sold it and had trouble with the buyer trying to take him to court. If I was you'd I'd get a proper z20let engine

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    listen so long as the engine was built properly z20let,xev ie zlet pistons engine loom etc etc it will be ok because the zlet has electronic throttle you will need complete dash loom but once thats done will bolt straight up to your gearbox and then just plug and play with loom
    if you need any more help pm me mate
    like i said if its done right you will be ok
    i know ive got a 250 bhp one sitting in my shed i done waiting for a gearbox when ifind one

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nath_evs View Post
    The previous owner to that engine didn't have it down as a z20let. He told him it was a x20xev but turbo'd. I know as my mate sold it and had trouble with the buyer trying to take him to court. If I was you'd I'd get a proper z20let engine
    dont sapose you would know if the original owner sold the engine with ecu? and if he did, was it a standerd ecu or was it remapped??

would you know if he ever had the engine installed and running with the cable throttle?
    many thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    If it's the engine I'm thinking about. Yes it did run but the car was bought to get broken for parts. Not sure in the ecu

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    havent been on for a while and i come back with a bit of an update.

on friday my car died
    so saturday i decided to start the engine change.

taking the old engine out i found a cracked exhaust manifold tut tut...

heres some pics taken by the wife...

cracked manny

getting ready to remove the dead horses

one dead horse

X20 turbo going in

and in!!
    One must remember to check tht the clutch plate matches the spline on the gearbox shaft of you can spend an hour scratching your head, swearing, and then insulting one self when you realise what a rookie mistake you've made

sunday was a wasted day really just finishing off bits and pieces but couldnt put the turbo on because i couldnt get the oil feed bango from anywhere so had to wait for today.

and as it stands at the moment

I got the bugger running BUT!! theres always a "but"

i have a missfire and it kicks out black smoke.

now im hopeing its the ecu not recognising the LET injectors and they are flowing to much fuel? assuming the black smoke is a sign of rich running. i did have a oil leak from the oil feed on the turbo but this seems to have stopped now (which is a good thing because its a swine to keep removing the rad's and bending the air con pipes just to get at the turbo)

so i am thinking, if i change the injectors for the XEV. with the LET Fuel regulater running higher pressure the XEV injectors should flow more fuel? (not to sure on the actual workings of injectors wever they charge and spray or if they are like a gate? if ya get what i mean).

also i want to check the water temp sensor because with the running it did not show a change in coolent temp? this may have caused the over fueling too? (think i might change tht b4 the injectors)

i did get 0.6 bar boost revving the engine and sounded sweet top end. throttle did stick a few time scaring the hell out the kids with me diving for the keys. i have left the oem dump valve connected and connected mine. and havent connected the boost controller for now so running standerd boost for a LET.

so yea. not a total success story, but none the less a positive one. will get more pics 2moz was kinda rushed today to stop and take any.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    heres a couple of pics and a vid after i moved the MAF sensor.
    no more misfire and a steady idle.
    going to change back to the LET injectors as it dies on boost with the XEV's.
    also disconnected the aftermarket DV as this is after the new posistion of MAF sensor.

click this next picture for video

sorry about the comentery i was a little excited tht i got it running better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast