Thread: P2279-5B air intake general fault on 1.9 CDTI SRi

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy P2279-5B air intake general fault on 1.9 CDTI SRi

bear with me - im a girl and i try to understand car bits helped by my car mad brother....but i dont get all the technical type bits lol

okay so only bought this car in November on a 57 plate. Noticed last week that it was slower to accelerate until 2000 revs n then zoomed off as normal. then this week the engine management light is permanently on n felt like a 1.0litre diesel till 2000 revs.

It suddenly was a lot slower n i limped it to a garage. the fella fiddled with it but was stumped as couldnt find anythin obviously wrong with air intake bits. fastened a loose clip n gave it me back. it behaves better now (like it has been the last week) but still isnt right.

took it to my friend who plugged it into his laptop n went through all the different components testing it at idle n as we drove round. the EGR is permanently 100% - is this right? n the fuel economy has dropped from 42 to 33 eeeek! so have done some reading up online n a site says that an EGR operating at 100% will increase the amount of fuel used n that it needs replacing...which is what im thinking of asking the garage man to do??

i am loathed to take it to a vauxhall dealer n pay them an extortionate amount to tell me exactly what i already know about it n for them to think that just cos im a girl they can replace bits that arent broken n generally rip me off.

please help! i have enough stress at work without my new baby car causing me jip! i just want it back to its speedy self!!

thanks, Jo

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    intake air system leak detected is 9 times out of ten a stuck egr valve, remove the vale and clean it out make sure that the pintle in the top part of the valve can move freely this normally seizes in as it works via an electro-magnet to open and close the vallve, the valve normally seizes open causeing a boost leak throwing up the error code p2279 intake air system leak detected, wot symptom byte do you have with the code?? This is the number in brackets after the code number as this gives an indication as to wot knind of fault you have, weather it is mechanical (stuck valve) or electrical (short to b+ or earth)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's definately the EGR valve, I had exactly the same thing, didn't see what fault it was when it went on the Diagnostics though! Luckily mine was under warranty and got replaced that way but as said above give it a good clean out and that should solve it!

There is a how 2 thread on here somewhere!
    http://uk.movember.com/mospace/3132765
    Please Donate Generously