Thread: Springs & things - replacement

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Springs & things - replacement

Had the wheels off today & having a good go with the wire brush i noticed the rusting & flaking. I have 2 pics, so we'll go 1 at a time:

1 will be to do with the suspension aye? What is 2?
    If you got these replaced (but to the same spec) would you need to inform your insurance? Such as if you got xyz sized brakes & replaced them with identical xyz brakes, but from an aftermarket supplier, would they need to be informed, as they're identical spec (as opposed to fitting abc brakes for e.g. which would be totally different)

Onto the next photo:

This one is the drivers side. What is the purpose of the rubber i've arrowed? It's brittle as hell. I looked at it & some of it broke off.

And while i'm in the process of asking things. Just a quick one which i don't want to create a new thread for. I wondered how i'd tow someone as i have no towbar, but when i got under the car today, i noticed this thing, 2 & a half years after ownership:

Is that what i'd tow someone with? (Am prepared for smart arse replies of "no you'll need a rope too" )

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    new springs and upper spring seat/bumpstops required there mate, and that is a standard rear towing eye

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Ah i figured it was the towing point. I'd never noticed it before & wondered how i'd tow someone without the ugly towbar on the back. Not that i've ever towed anyone, it's usually the other way around.

FIRST QUESTION - is how required is required? Are we talking like "looking like last legs" required, or just, "its ok but seen better days" required or what?
    Which takes me onto NEXT QUESTION - what would you recommend? I'm not really interested in lowering tbh. I'd happily stay at my standard ride height.
    That said, i remember reading a thread that someone bought springs in & he said the SRi was lower than the other trim levels (can't remember exact figures) & he was wanting say a drop of 40mm (let's just go with the figures here, i'm plucking them from thin air anyway) & the SRi had already been lowered 40mm, so these springs which he thought would drop him 40mm, just had him remaining the same height.

Hope that makes sense? I think i read it a few years ago.

I wouldn't mind buying a bit of quality, but i'd like to remain the same
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1412 View Post
    upper spring seat/bumpstops
    Whatchu talkin bout willis? Are you on about that bar like thing? What is it?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What's wrong with the springs? They're rusty but the pictures don't show any reason to change them unless I'm missing something?

SXi/SRi/GSi are all -20mm lower than a 'normal' MK4, so -40mm springs would drop them by an additional 20mm.

The upper spring seat/bump stop is the knackered rubber thing that fell to bits when you looked at it

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    What's wrong with the springs? They're rusty but the pictures don't show any reason to change them unless I'm missing something?

SXi/SRi/GSi are all -20mm lower than a 'normal' MK4, so -40mm springs would drop them by an additional 20mm.

The upper spring seat/bump stop is the knackered rubber thing that fell to bits when you looked at it
    the springs are quite corroded, once they lose the coating and corrode like that, they often become fatigued and fracture easily. would be good to address it whilst changing those disintegrating bump stops

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    So i'd be looking at some -20mm springs to stay the same ride height then? -40mm would be tempting for looks. I don't know how it'd effect the drive though.

* what purpose do these bump stops serve? I'm assuming it's some sort of cushioning for the springs themselves?
    * Do they come with the springs when you buy springs or do you have to buy them separate?
    * First photo (#2) what is this? I'm assuming this is fine then, as this part hasn't been commented on?

* What springs (or anything else) would you recommend? What sizes/measurements am i looking for (Car is a standard SRi & ATM i plan on keeping it that way).

Apologies if any of this is basic stuff, it's just an area i've never even considered looking at until today.

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    So i'd be looking at some -20mm springs to stay the same ride height then? -40mm would be tempting for looks. I don't know how it'd effect the drive though.

* what purpose do these bump stops serve? I'm assuming it's some sort of cushioning for the springs themselves?
    * Do they come with the springs when you buy springs or do you have to buy them separate?
    * First photo (#2) what is this? I'm assuming this is fine then, as this part hasn't been commented on?

* What springs (or anything else) would you recommend? What sizes/measurements am i looking for (Car is a standard SRi & ATM i plan on keeping it that way).

Apologies if any of this is basic stuff, it's just an area i've never even considered looking at until today.
    first photo #2 is the shock absorber which i would replace at the same time as new springs, they would compliment each other as they would both be very tired.
    bumpstops are required to seat the spring and stop damage should you hit a big hole and the car bottomed out. they are sold separately.
    i would go with a new set of springs and shocks using KYB units, these are good and give an OE ride and are well priced. bumpstops are a dealer only part or try a get a pair from a breakers yard, assuming they are in good condition

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I've just googled bumpstops & everything seems to point towards bikes. Did a search on eBay too and I know you said they're a dealer only part, but i thought something would get brought up online. Do they have an alternative name (such as various plasterers can call the same bag of plaster 10 different names)? I don't want the monkey at the desk to just stare at me when i ask, that's all lol.

Also, what size springs would i be looking at to remain the same ride spec?

I'm assuming it's just a case of unbolting & re-bolting, pretty much, when it comes to replacement?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    I've just googled bumpstops & everything seems to point towards bikes. Did a search on eBay too and I know you said they're a dealer only part, but i thought something would get brought up online. Do they have an alternative name (such as various plasterers can call the same bag of plaster 10 different names)? I don't want the monkey at the desk to just stare at me when i ask, that's all lol.

Also, what size springs would i be looking at to remain the same ride spec?

I'm assuming it's just a case of unbolting & re-bolting, pretty much, when it comes to replacement?
    just buy the KYB ones listed for your particular model, they will be right, trust me. ask for a pair of upper spring seats and vauxhall will know what you need.
    two torx bolts to remove shocks, lower the trailing arm and remove spring. you must only do one side at a time. fit new upper spring seat and locate springs into place. slightly jack up trailing arm and fit shock absorber using new bolts and threadlock. torque upper shock bolt to 90nm and lower bolt to 110nm. pop wheel back on, job done

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Sounds pretty straight forward actually, even to me.

If i went for it, i'd likely get my brother to help out as he's a trainee HGV mechanic & has also spent a few years in a car garage. He'll know more than i would anyhow.

It's just a debate as to whether to remain at the same ride height, or drop slightly.

If i was to drop slightly, not majorly, would i notice/feel any difference? If so, what? It'd look better, but i'm curious as to what difference i would FEEL as opposed to SEE.
    Oh & while i'm at it, if i was dropping slightly on my current spec, what size springs would i go for?
    I'm guessing the shock absorbers are all 1 measurement then, just different makes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast