Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Flushing coolant, please help

Excuse me if this sounds dumb.

I want to flush my entire coolant as it looks rusty, I have a 1.6 16v 1999 without air con and I was told these hold 6.3 litres can anyone else confirm this?

Also whats the best way to flush the coolant? what hoses do I need to take off or do they all need to come off? I would like to somehow clean the coolant tank inside as on the edges it has scale around it which looks nasty.

Could someone tell me what antifreeze I need? the previous was blue. And If I buy the ready mixed does this mean I do not need to any water as it's already mixed in the coolant?

Cheers in advance

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    undo the drain bolt at the bottom of the rad

then take the thermostat housing off and squeeze the bottom rad pipe should clear it out

any good company anti freeze should be good i use halfords because i have a trade card. i buy 5L worth then i put 1L anti followed by 1L water and keep doing it until full

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    When i did mine i just connected a hose to the bottom of the rad & drained it into a bucket.
    Tightened plug up, filled with tap water & ran to temp. In fact i think i may have ran to temp at first, i can't remember.
    Drained into bucket again, but had a slow flow into the header tank. When it eventually started running clear, i drained it all again.
    Found out my capacity, which is supposed 7ltr (yours may be different) so i added in 3.5L of Vaux long-life antifreeze & then topped up with water.
    Ran with the cap off, the level settled, topped up with water.
    Went for a drive, came back, let the car cool overnight, topped up again in the morning. Job done.

Obviously if you're wanting to clean the tank, i'd take it off once drained. Or buy a new one.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If I buy the ready mixed stuff does that mean I do not have to add any water as it's already mixed? therefore just add the whole amount I need from the antifreeze?

As my coolant is very rusty is it worth replacing the radiator as well?