Thread: Astra Sxi 1.6 16v (Woes...)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Astra Sxi 1.6 16v (Woes...)

Hi guys, i dont use this forum much but a friend of mine has asked me to post up a thread about his Astra woes....

Ill give you guys the run down, basically my mate owns a 2002 Astra 1.6 16v The car has developed a problem where it intermittently will cut out, the engine is fine and had a healthy life as far as we know but it seems to not want to play ball from time to time - dangerous amongst other things.

Now after a frivolous search for a mechanic that can diagnose faults we are now assuming its a problem with the wiring loom, it would seem thats where this has stemmed from (my guess was a crank sensor or fuelling issue but that doesnt seem to be the case...)

Anyway, as im aware being semi hands on with cars that a wiring loom is a pain in the tits to negotiate, would it be worth while to sell the car as is in the sense that the engine gearbox and anything else (everything works) must be worth a couple of hundread quid if someone were to break it for parts?

Would would the Astra community adivse?

The cars located in Glasgow and any sort of inspection/test drive/look around would be more than welcomed. (Sorry if this is in the wrong place aswell )

Kind Regards, Danny

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Engine management unit but id be guessing thats what killed my dads old astra

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont sell it mate - get a loom from a scrappy and try to sort it.
    have it as a project if you got the time for it.

If not, then depending on the condition of it, your mate might be better of breaking it and selling individual parts.
    would make more money that way than selling the car as a whole that wont work.
    MK4 1.8 SXi - Irmscher Body Kit - Holden Badges- Heko Wind Deflectors

Somebody complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine'.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Pedal test or opcom to see if theres any fault codes?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Questionmarc View Post
    Engine management unit but id be guessing thats what killed my dads old astra
    Wouldnt there be a light on the dash to suggest any foul play if it were EM related?

Quote Originally Posted by Amuzer View Post
    Dont sell it mate - get a loom from a scrappy and try to sort it.
    have it as a project if you got the time for it.

If not, then depending on the condition of it, your mate might be better of breaking it and selling individual parts.
    would make more money that way than selling the car as a whole that wont work.
    He's not that interested in cars in the sense that its more of a tool to get him from A to B and so on, hes also not that handy with a spanner/space is also an issue, again there being no guarantee that the parts will sell etc, again, we arent entirley sure it is the loom atall, thats what its been 'narrowed' down to from various other things

Quote Originally Posted by Benn10astra View Post
    Pedal test or opcom to see if theres any fault codes?
    Pedal test? Opcom? What are these mate? Self diagnosing faults? Could you explain?

Thanks for the replies guys - so far you have been more helpful than the shameless "mechanics" ive spoken to!

Regards!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...ght=pedal+test hth regarding pedal test

Opcom is used to read codes and loads of other stuff have a search on here and google. hth

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks very much mate, ill give that a bash and see what happens...

One of the better mechanics that looked at it did say it could be a wire thats been rubbing against something and caused it to wear away... im unsure how you would even go about finding something like that...