Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.6 Vs. 2.0 DTi

Currently I own a 2.0 DTi. I hate it.
    Pulling away is so slow and has caused people to nearly smash into side of me on many occasions.
    I bought a back box for it and it's still silent.
    I can't find any good mods for it without paying out everything I have.

So now I'm looking for a new car. I was looking at the 1.6 petrol as it's the same power but maybe it'll pull away much better? Does anyone know?
    Since it's an insurance group lower it'll be a bit cheaper for me.

Although there are still things I'm uncertain about...
    What sort of problems does the 1.6 have?
    What mods are there for it and how easy are they to get hold of?
    And will an irmy backbox make a nice sound on it? :P

What does everyone think? 1.6 or DTi?

Thanks.
    Astra G 2.0l DTi 16v

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What about that DTUK Box type thing for your current engine? Don't know much about it but seen people raving about them

PS swap your exhaust centre section for an unsilenced one if you want it noticeably louder
    Project Club|HERE|COMMENTS|

Project Skyline|NOW HERE|

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont think they do boxes for dti's.

if your on about mk4 astras mate, my 1.6 16v is pretty sluggish on acceleration due to them being pretty heavy, but when higher in the rev rage they are quite nippy.
    do not get the 1.6 8v it will b worse than your diesil lol.
    1999 Vauxhall astra G 1.6 16v

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mk4rob View Post
    do not get the 1.6 8v it will b worse than your diesil lol.
    What he said, I have one
    Project Club|HERE|COMMENTS|

Project Skyline|NOW HERE|

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd be getting the SXi so the 16v 100bhp version if anything.
    I've been quoted £90 for a change of my centre section but I been told it'll fail the MOT due to emmissions change. Don't know what to do about it.
    And the DTUK chip is a bit too expensive for me at the moment. And a few people have said that the gearbox or whatever can't handle the increase torque. Which would make it far too expensive!
    I really need to meet up with someone that has a 1.6 and test the pulling away on both cars really.

I've heard a few people saying about the engine electric light being on and the car being in limp mode. Can anyone explain limp mode to me please? I've never heard of it before.
    Astra G 2.0l DTi 16v

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have 1.6 16v and i find it can really shift.power from 2500rpm upwards.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Limp mode: if a sensor fails or gives strange results the ECU detects this and lights up the Engine management light (EML). Once the EML is lit the engine will also limit the revs of the engine and allow you to still drive the car however the car will feel very sluggish and typically will not rev over 3000rpm. If you have a light lit up pn your dash you will need to have the codes read to identify the fault. I have a 20DTI and although not the quickest thing in the world it does trundle along at a good old pace.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Disappointing is this. I remember when i was thinking of shifting my MK4 1.8 for something more economical, but without much of a loss in performance & a couple members suggested the MK4 2.0 DTI.

Now either yours is a bad egg, or theirs was a bad suggestion.

And if people are nearly crashing into you, then surely either they're going too fast, or you're pulling out when you shouldn't?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Personally, if the book facts say they are the same peformance
    I wouldn't go through all the hassle of selling your car and buying a decent new one

I have a 1.6twinport and like mentioned above, is quite nippy and can shift when pushed
    Sure yours is running right/when was last service?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't pull out in front of people, I pull out when it's safe, but the car is so slow at pulling away that people usually have to stop for a while to give me time for it to get fully across an island. Or I can rev really high before pulling away and look like a tosser trying to challenge people. But even then it sometimes has major lag and barely moves. The area I live in is full of 50-60mph roads with islands so I need to be able to pull out fast, which I can't.
    My moms L reg, barely-running Corsa pulls away quicker and even that goes majorly slow at pulling away.

The light is coming up on the dash so I had my brother use his opcom to look at it. But it didn't show any codes and couldn't cancel the light. So I don't know what to do about that. Any suggestions?

I think it's probably just my car that is bad as I've seen loads of other Astras (16, 1.7 and 2.0DTi's) that pull away much quicker than mine. When I've got the money I'll give it a proper service myself or maybe just wait for the MOT and get both done. I don't think it has ever been serviced tbh.

Once the turbo kicks in it really goes for it. Kinda throws people back in their seat, but sometimes it doesn't kick in at all which causes me to lag.

If I get a straight through centre pipe will it still pass mot fine? And will it make my exhaust louder?

As Bradd said it'd be hassle to sell my car and get a 1.6 so I'll just try mod mine. Will take alot longer to do though. But possibly worth it in the end.
    Astra G 2.0l DTi 16v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast