Thread: Fitting a swan neck towbar..how?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Fitting a swan neck towbar..how?

Hi all. I have a 2009 Astra 1.6 SXi 5 door hatchback & I want to fit a swan neck (removable) towbar. In the owner's manual it is supposed to just slot into somewhere just behind the bumper. I've been told (assured) that the swan neck will fit my car but where? I can't see where it should go? Are there any online diagrams or pictures?

Help, please?

Status
    South Central RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you'll need the entire towbar its not just a bit under the bumper. you'll need to drill holes in the boot, drop some bushes in and there are plates on top (in the boot) and underneath. the electrics can be a bit touchy too, you'll either need a bypass relay or a plug in kit (which is the more recommended way of doing it). http://www.pct.eu.com/automotive/Fit...pdf/GM4232.pdf link there to pct fitting instructions to give you a rough idea of what's involved

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadfall View Post
    you'll need the entire towbar its not just a bit under the bumper. you'll need to drill holes in the boot, drop some bushes in and there are plates on top (in the boot) and underneath. the electrics can be a bit touchy too, you'll either need a bypass relay or a plug in kit (which is the more recommended way of doing it). http://www.pct.eu.com/automotive/Fit...pdf/GM4232.pdf link there to pct fitting instructions to give you a rough idea of what's involved
    So, in other words, this message I have received:

"Dear kevanf1,

As long as your vehicle is a 2004-2010 model and is not a Twintop or VXR
    this will fit.
    Regards,

P F Jones Ebay Customer Service Support"

is male bovine excrement?

This concerns eBay item #280506416630

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=280506416630

Status
    South Central RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yup that one will fit, westfalia are a good make too. the towbar is not just the bit in the picture though, there's all the other stuff that goes with it (spreader plates, cross bar etc), the bit in the picture is just the neck itself. although the one in the picture isn't exactly what's classed as a removable towbar, they're usually a bit more expensive and you can easily detach the neck when you're not using it without having to get the spanner and torque wrench out!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, but why, in the handbook that cam with the car, does it show a simple swan neck towbar (not much more than a towball) being fitted. There is no mention of any other ironwork and it all seems to be there on the vehicle. There is definitely nothing like this on my car. Could it be that it is only fitted to certain cars? Or are Vauxhall being a bit conservative? I honestly thought that all I would have to buy was the swan neck and it fitted up into some socket that was already on the car (as per the handbook).

I may visit my local dealer tomorrow and ask them to take a look...

Thank you for the help so far it is very much appreciated.

Kevan

Status
    South Central RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    trust me, there arent any vauxhalls that come with a towbar from factory. i wouldn't get the dealers to have a look either, it'll cost you a stupid amount of money. either that or they sub-contract out the work. i'd just do a search for a local towbar company in ur area. where are you based?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm in Cheslyn Hay down in the South West corner of Staffordshire close to the West Midlands border. We do have a very good towbar fitters in the next village to where I live. I've had two previous Astras fitted with towbars and they always do a good job at a very reasonable price. Ghent I think the name of the firm is on the main Walsall road next to an unrelated shop called 'The Towing shop'...

All this has been sparked by the pictures in the owner handbook showing that swan neck towbar that is 'only fitted with certain models'. It shows a polystytrene foam spacer that fits in the spare wheel with spaces for the jack and other tools together with that swan neck. I read it as meaning some models did come with a swan neck that simply fitted into a socket that was indeed factory fitted.

I'm now starting to think it would be a heck of a lot cheaper to just have an ordinary towbar and towball fitted. It would be nice to be able to remove the towball when not in use but, on the other hand, a tow ball is great if somebody comes too close to you from behind

Cheers for the advice

Kevan

Status
    South Central RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ah you're a little way from us then as we're based on south coast. detachable towbars are usually around £300ish depending on who's fitting it and what they're fitting may be cheaper or more expensive. i'd definately recommend westfalia if you're going for a detachable though, they're miles better than the rest. that link is for a fixed swan neck bar, not a fully detachable one. i'm sure the towbar company will be able to talk you through your options.