Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your head unit run like this? Applies to all i guess.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Does your head unit run like this? Applies to all i guess.

I've had issues with my HU from day 1 & i'm trying to find out whether it's the HU at fault, or the car.

I've not had a car where the HU does this before. When i start the car, it doesn't effect the HU, yet with this one, when i start the car, the HU turns off, then comes back on again.

The problem is, sometimes it turns off, but doesn't come back on, so you h ave to reset the whole HU & re-program everything back in.

View My Video

Does y ours happen like that or not?

<embed width="440" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v7.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=rtno14&s=7"><br><font size="1"><a href="http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=rtno14&s=7">Original Video</a> - More videos at <a href="http://tinypic.com">TinyPic</a></font>

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Pretty sure thats normal. I know if i'm playing the PS2 and I start the engine the console will go off, and that is wired off the HU loom.
    The fact the headunit sometimes doesn't come back on will be a HU problem.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'd had various feedback (on whether it'd be HU or car) & it was all mixed. I can replace my HU easier than the car though. I'd never had a HU doing it this way before, which is why i had to ask. Cheers for the feedback though.

Now it's just a case of where to buy from. I bought my current one from Dynamic Sounds. There's also a site that's cnosiderably cheaper than any other, which makes me suspicious. I emailed them asking how they could offer it so cheaply compared, but they didn't reply, so sod them.
    Car Audio Direct may be the option.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the same problem in my car buddy, i just live with it, the only difference i can see is the second live feed from my head unit goes into the cig lighter....

It doesn't bother me to much though.. i have to have the car running to power all my little toys in the car otherwise she won't move

if you find a solution to this please pm me.. i would be interested in knowing why it does this.
    Black 1.7CDTI SXI -www.younge.co.uk -

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I thought of this thread today while at work with a Zafira where the alpine headunit wouldn't switch on but as soon as I pushed the reset button it was fine.

The headunit didn't switch off though when you cranked the engine over
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hmm, you've both put doubt in my head now as to whether a new HU would fix this issue.

I don't need to have the car running to power the HU. I stick the key in the ignition, turn to pos1, then turn off again (but leave key in) and the HU will work. However to power up the ciggy socket, the ignition needs to be fully on.

I'm a stickler for wanting things "right", so this bothers me a fair bit i must admit. I'm sick of having to reset my HU.

I wonder how come the Zafira HU didn't switch off. I'd have thought the Zafira would've been the same as the Astra.

Hmm, i don't know what to do now lol. Shell out & take a chance, or be resigned to not being able to sort it.

Question is why it does it. Nobody seems to be able to tell me. Not Alpine, not car audio stores, nobody.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    My thoughts is that the headunit switching off is down to a faulty ignition switch. You can test this with a test light.......... (probably over your head lol)

Oh and the other member has a MK5 so ignore that lol
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks View Post
    (probably over your head lol)
    It's comments like these when i know members have at some point, taken note of my postings - as they're familiar with my lack of knowledge (especially electrical)

What i can't get my head round, is it does it sometimes, but not others. Some times it'll be months before it needs resetting. Recently it did it twice in a week. There's no pattern at all. There's no common denominator whatsoever. I've tried it with putting the headlights on first, that doesn't work. Nothing does.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I've just read : http://www.ehow.com/how_5646925_chec...on-switch.html And i'm sure when i had op-com plugged in, the battery was about 14v?? Or nearly 14v? I can't remember now, and i'm not 100% positive anyway. I'd have to re-plug op-com in to get an accurate reading.

That said, i googled ignition switch testing & virtually everything was to do with starting the car - my car has started first time ever since i bought it in '08.
    Speaking of which, the standard CDR500 never had this issue when i was using it for the first 6/7 months of ownership.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I know a fair few stereos out on the market have an automatic cut off if the batteries voltage drops below a certain voltage.

And starting a car is a massive draw on power so it could be down to that
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast