Thread: Z20let questions :)

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Z20let questions :)

Hi Guys, i'm new to the forum and never owned a turbo car before so I was wandering if you could help?

I bought my Astra Coupe Turbo yesterday, the clocks read 96k but the engine has around 42k. I have a receipt for a stage two map just so you know. I have a couple of questions so here we go:

I was driving home to the West Midlands from Cardiff yesterday and it seemed great, I was very happy. I went to give it the beans on the motorway and the turbo wasn't always holding boost then eventually the engine management light come on and the car lost power and started to sound like a Subaru? Any ideas?

Secondly, the screen that displays the date on the centre console seems dodgy, theirs lines through the screen making it difficult to read and keeps flashing up things like 'Brake Pads and Door' and stuff?

After driving it for a while when stopping at lights and junctions the revs drop below 750rpm and then bounce back up, it even cut out twice yesterday? I have a feeling this could be the AFM?

Last but not least... The alarm went off whilst driving it yesterday which was very strange, I had to turn the car off and back on for it to stop. The car had a satnav built in to the centre console once which was damaged by the previous owners daughter and then returned back to standard. Could this be dodgy wiring?

Thanks in advance guys and I appreciate and help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds like you have bought a whole load of trouble that was botched by the previous owner to get rid. I would be taking it straight back.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm definitely not taking it back, all the problems will be sorted

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RB_z20let View Post
    I was driving home to the West Midlands from Cardiff yesterday and it seemed great, I was very happy. I went to give it the beans on the motorway and the turbo wasn't always holding boost then eventually the engine management light come on and the car lost power and started to sound like a Subaru? Any ideas?
    Your best bet is to get the car onto a diagnostics machine, you can do a pedal test to bring up the code (search on here for a how-to)

Mine done the same as how you described and it turned out to be the Front BCS (boost control solenoid), its also done it on a dodgy spark plug.
    Project Money Pit - Mk4 Astra Sri Tubby!

Z20LET Goodies wanted!! **PM me

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1st check the boost pipes are on tight and there are no splits this will more than likely be the problem ive experienced it a few times with my boost pipes popping off. my front lamda sensor also went tits up and caused similar problems so do a pedal test to see if that brings up any codes, to do this put foot on brake and accelerator hold themn down and turn the key so the lights come on the dash then the eml will flash if its constantly flashing then no codes are there

cna really help re dash display apart from getting a decent second hand unit

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    haha thats what i thought when i bought my gsi.
    2003 star silver Astra Gsi - sold

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if it sounds like a subaru then i think it cud be miss firing tbh does it stutter when it sounds like this??

the revs dropping below 750 and picking back up etc deffo sounds like afm

what map do you have on it??

how much you pay for the car?
    Arden Astra Vxr - Courtenay Sport Stage 2 - 284 bhp 337 torque - 3inch Scorpian Turbo Back - Dap R's - CDTI Converstion - Gloss Black TD Pro Race Alloys ..

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daz_rt_04 View Post
    Your best bet is to get the car onto a diagnostics machine, you can do a pedal test to bring up the code (search on here for a how-to)

Mine done the same as how you described and it turned out to be the Front BCS (boost control solenoid), its also done it on a dodgy spark plug.
    The solenoids aren't that expensive are they? Are they easy to fit youself?

Quote Originally Posted by k.a.r.l View Post
    1st check the boost pipes are on tight and there are no splits this will more than likely be the problem ive experienced it a few times with my boost pipes popping off. my front lamda sensor also went tits up and caused similar problems so do a pedal test to see if that brings up any codes, to do this put foot on brake and accelerator hold themn down and turn the key so the lights come on the dash then the eml will flash if its constantly flashing then no codes are there

cna really help re dash display apart from getting a decent second hand unit
    I'll do the pedal test in a short while and see what codes come up, i'll jot them down and post them (if any codes are found).

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astra Cabby Show Car View Post
    if it sounds like a subaru then i think it cud be miss firing tbh does it stutter when it sounds like this??

the revs dropping below 750 and picking back up etc deffo sounds like afm

what map do you have on it??

how much you pay for the car?
    Yeah juddered quite bad and the eml came on, it hasn't done it since when it happened. I'll have a look for a VXR AFM and some new plugs, what plugs do people recommend?

The MAP was by a company called ECU Evolution back in November 2008, stage 2 it is.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RB_z20let View Post
    Yeah juddered quite bad and the eml came on, it hasn't done it since when it happened. I'll have a look for a VXR AFM and some new plugs, what plugs do people recommend?

The MAP was by a company called ECU Evolution back in November 2008, stage 2 it is.
    that sounds like a missfire to me mate.. the vxr afm you will have to have mapped in, you cant just plug and play with it..

new plugs, well everyone will tell you different but vxr plugs will be fine or irrdium spark plugs are great also, i have irrudiums in my stage 2 astra vxr..

imo, i would go for a dyno so they can also data log what your car is doing.. as it cud be running lean or to rich ..

never heard of ecu evolution so i cant comment on how good they are..

if it was me i would do this..

tech 2 machine to see any hidden engine faults - if there is any faults get them sorted-

then i would - go for a dyno were they can fully data log what you car is doing -

if its running to lean etc, i would go for a different stage 2 remap so it runs safe..

i will say tho it does deffo sound like its missfiring.. i bet it did it when you put you foot down to the floor on boost and it started juddering and spluttering .. and when driving normal it wont do it..
    Arden Astra Vxr - Courtenay Sport Stage 2 - 284 bhp 337 torque - 3inch Scorpian Turbo Back - Dap R's - CDTI Converstion - Gloss Black TD Pro Race Alloys ..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast