Thread: Tax and roads

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Tax and roads

hi guy did some research on a new car today and found that here in republic of the ireland i would have a annual tax of €2100 while the most you guys get taxed is £485 is that right? hows the road condition over in the uk because the roads here are very very bad on are national routes so much so that i have been avoiding any country road for over a year ill try an post a few photos of are national road conditions.

i know im on a bit of a rant but im very angry

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jesus, only thing I can suggest is either move or buy a smaller car.

The roads over here vary. Most country roads are bad, I live in the fens (Country, so roads are bad).

What about petrol prices as at the moment we are paying on average 130p for unleaded and 135p for Diesel?
    If it ain't broke.........
    Give it a whack!!!

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    UK road tax (or Road Fund Licence to give it it's correct name) doesn't get spent directly on roads, so it's really a pointless comparison.

All it does in the UK is give you a right to use a vehicle on the public highway

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    really i didnt know that i wonder if its the same here. are petrol is about 146 cent so is bad but i know that alot of people cross the boarded from the north to the r.o.i to get petrol as its normally alot cheaper here. ill have to get photos of these pot holes to show you guys some of them are 2 foot wide and more than a foot deep

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Road repairs are the responsibility of the local highway authority, which are normally county councils, unitary authorities etc. In some cases district/borough councils may have claims the rights to do so from the highway authorities, and do so under a service level agreement.

The money for all these authorities comes partly from council tax and partly from central government settlements.. some of which may be specifically for road use or it might be part of the general sum to be divided out amongst other local gov services.

Motorways and trunk routes are the remit of the Highway Agency, and that are funded directly from central gov.

Seeing as all levels of local gov are taking a major hit from central gov funding, in terms of specific grants and general settlements, I'd expect thing to get worse before they get better.. unless you all want to pay more council tax!!

That's the English setup, but I'm not sure about what happens over any of the borders

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    146 cent, so about the same.
    To be honest there's not alot that can be done. Road tax reflects the impact that the car has on the enviroment (CO2 Emmissions) and petrol as we know is not a finite resource, the problem is there is not really anything to replace it at the moment.
    Give it a whack!!!

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    /\/\ Not strictly true . Farming livestock (especially cows) puts far more greenhouse gas into the atmosphere than vehicles.

Successive governments have done nothing to stop societies reliance on oil - all the trappings of modern society are dependant on the black stuff...from consumer good to vehicles.

We (the planet) are pretty much 100% addicted to oil and what it gives us, and as such govs can use that addiction to tax us ever increasing amounts, which we have to pay because there is no viable/convenient/realistic alternative. Added to that govs don't seem to be bothered about addressing the 'finite amount problem', because it' not in their interest to do so.

Subjugate a population, and you control them

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You are a very wise man. The oil/petrol/tax debat could go on forever. The cost is dependent on so many factors there is whole websites dedeicated to the debate
    Give it a whack!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    il be looking into a pre 1973 car for my next motor
    G t c

soon!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The M8 is a state up here westbound if i **** up a wheel or suspension because of the state it's in i'll be claiming the repairs back due to negligence on one of the country major arteries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast