Thread: Direct replacement speakers for a 5 door. Nothing too expensive

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Direct replacement speakers for a 5 door. Nothing too expensive

As said, i've a 5-door if it makes a difference.
    Budget will be let's say £50. Probably stretch to £60 perhaps, but i've spent a bit lately, so want to keep it low.

I have an Alpine CDE-103BT & am looking to uprgade to the 126BT. Both are listed as 4x50w {that's not me knowing what i'm talking about btw. That's off what someone else told me }

If you're a reasonably regular member, you'll perhaps be aware of my 'skill' (can we call it that?) level. So everything has to be DIRECT replacement. Take old off, put new on. No faffing, no cutting, no modding & making it fit. Off and on. Simple.

No offensive speakers that need door cards modified. No boot builds, no boom-boom-boom as i'm not interested in any of it. Just a simple direct replacement, speaker upgrade

Now that's established, any speaker recommendations are welcome.

Also will i need anything else (hope not)? No extra wiring or whatever?

I'm hoping the answer is, take door card off, unscrew current (standard) speakers, unplug speakers (am assuming a plug runs to them), fit in new speakers, connect plug, screw in, replace door card, relax.
    Or is someone going to disappoint me & tell me it's not quite so simple?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Nearly all speakers need adaptor rings. These Pioneers are the only ones I know off that are a direct fit, but there out of your price range
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pion...-vauxhall.html

An adaptor ring, really is very very easy to fit though. Don't forget you will need to fit the tweeter as well as the woofer, and depending on the set you may need to wire up the crossover as well. On some its just a small inline job, others its a screw terminal block.

Edit, budget £15 for adaptors, leaves you £35-£45 for speakers. You don't get much for that price, but I would go for these at £38. Mainly because out of Alpine, edge, mutant, fli and JBL, Alpine is the only one I have used in the past, and nearly all my system is Alpine and have always been happy with it
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-sxe-1750s.html

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    iv got fli speakers in mine
    there a vibe design and there very good
    as for the adapter rings, i bought some for a mk4 but they didnt fit briliantly and on the backs i just drilled 4 holes in the door insted and it was much better
    unfortunatly kev the astra speakers run in paralel with the tweeters and if your buying componants (which you should be because the 2 way ones sound like a trud in a can)
    meaning you will have to cut into the yelow and brown wires and find out which pair gose too the tweeters above and fit a crossover in the doors
    also you should solder them
    i didnt fist time, i used crimps and i ended up having to do it again.
    the door cards and window seals are also a bitch to get back on

its not the easyest off jobs but its well worth it
    if it ant broke, don't fix it.....mod it! MK4 flip keys £13.99

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Nearly all speakers need adaptor rings. These Pioneers are the only ones I know off that are a direct fit, but there out of your price range
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pion...-vauxhall.html
    I got in touch with caraudiodirect & that's exactly what he recommended. If it's direct then i may have to wait longer & save more & buy them instead.
    An adaptor ring, really is very very easy to fit though.
    What does the job entail & i'll have a see how easy it sounds lol
    tweeter woofer, crossover as well. small inline job, screw terminal block.
    What what what what???
    I think the tweeter is that small mini speakery type thing near the mirrow adjustment right? Everything else you said ..... lol

All depends on this adapter job.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnosh View Post
    iv got fli speakers in mine
    Fli speakers? Not being funny, but is that a typo or not? If not, wtf, fli?

drilled 4 holes in the door insted
    cut into the yelow and brown wires and find out which pair gose too the tweeters above and fit a crossover in the doors
    also you should solder them

its not the easyest off jobs
    Brilliant.

Depending on Buckles answer then, i may just doorcard off the job & then leave it with a car audio store for the install, which i don't like doing.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its not a typo lol
    Fli as in Fly
    http://www.fliaudio.co.uk/
    ill be honest
    if its something that its scarring you just get halfords or a audio place to install it
    save you alot of effort and time

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Adaptor ring is V V V easy lol.

Just remove OE speaker, fit ring in place of old speaker using 3 OE holes. Then the new speaker screws to the adaptor ring using the more convential 4 screw layout. Gives a bit more depth as well so the magnet clears the back of door.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Very impressed with my Fli components up front - more than capable of being amp'd too for when you add one

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Very impressed with my Fli components up front - more than capable of being amp'd too for when you add one
    they designed to be amped so i should think so lol
    a common problem with speaker distortion is actually lack off power in the head unit rather than overdriven speakers

yes the ring is very easy to fit
    to be quite honest if you cant do id be worried the let you drive lol
    but getting to that stage is fiddly and annoying plus if your putting in proper cross overs mistakes are easy to make
    i cocked up and im supposed to be and electrical technician lol

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Do you ever plan to drop an amp in Kev? I'd suspect you'll get better sound from lower rated speakers if you don't plan to amp ever, as they'll then be driven at the right power input.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Ah simple as that buckle? Doesn't sound so bad then. Will it still fit in within the door car though? It's not going to "bring it out" too far & require door card modification to allow it to fit in?

Chris - nope. Simple as that lol. My brother was trying to talk me into increasing my system, but he's 18 & can be heard before he's seen & i don't like that. Even still, i'm quite happy with the standard output. Some tracks are just a bit crackly through the car though that's all.

CAD got back to me & they're the only direct ones they stock as they're specific for the Astra. I didn't realise - that's £90 for TWO speakers. That still leaves another 2 in the rear to take care of!!!! Expense or what.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast