Thread: Auto gearbox slips into neutral.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Auto gearbox slips into neutral.

Hello people. I'm a new member and I have a problem. I own a Astra 1.4 Club Auto and for the last couple of weeks I have noticed that when I am stationary and in D the gearbox drops into neutral. When I go to accelerate it clonks into gear. It drives normally other than this. No noticeable difference in gear changes. Any ideas???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Drives
    Astra Twintop 1.8 & Honda Accord
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It does it deliberately fella, to save on fuel. Mine does the same

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    have a look at the gearbox oil

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your replies. If that is the case why has it only started to do this in the last couple of weeks when I have had the car over 4 years? I'm just worried this is the start of something more serious.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your gearbox will have done this from new ,It does this to prevent wear in he box and it does save fuel, you wouldn't of noticed it so much if at all if the gearbox fluid level was correct ,and of course if the fluid it self was changed annually I bet it hasn't been, people are just not aware that this is just as important as the engine oil , If your fluid is black (I guess it will be ) it needs changing use Dexron 4 auto transmission fluid , You'll be surprised the difference it will make 9 out of 10 problems with auto box's is fluid related "clonking "is one of them due to either low fluid or black (burnt) fluid

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phil w View Post
    Your gearbox will have done this from new ,It does this to prevent wear in he box and it does save fuel, you wouldn't of noticed it so much if at all if the gearbox fluid level was correct ,and of course if the fluid it self was changed annually I bet it hasn't been, people are just not aware that this is just as important as the engine oil , If your fluid is black (I guess it will be ) it needs changing use Dexron 4 auto transmission fluid , You'll be surprised the difference it will make 9 out of 10 problems with auto box's is fluid related "clonking "is one of them due to either low fluid or black (burnt) fluid
    Where do you get your facts from? automatic gearbox fluid does not need to be change annually. In 'normal' use it should last 100,000 miles before it needs to be changed. Even if the car is subject to harsh conditions you only really need to change it every 50,000 miles.

Sometimes my gearbox doesn't go into neutral when stopped, but if I release and depress the brake pedal it usually will.
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Drives
    Astra Twintop 1.8 & Honda Accord
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    lol at a couple of the replies. Indeed the gearbox oil can last a long time and it's part of the function of the gearbox. It even ses in the manual it does this. The clunking into gear is it getting back into Drive as you've proberly got your foot on the accelerator. I noticed it straight away on the test drive before I bought my car, it's ment to be noticeable.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your advice everybody. Gonna try changing the gearbox oil. Can't hurt. Thanks again.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    in work we have the box oil changed 2 times a year but its 12k a gearbox

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p-a View Post
    Where do you get your facts from? automatic gearbox fluid does not need to be change annually. In 'normal' use it should last 100,000 miles before it needs to be changed. Even if the car is subject to harsh conditions you only really need to change it every 50,000 miles.

Sometimes my gearbox doesn't go into neutral when stopped, but if I release and depress the brake pedal it usually will.

Vauxhall I guestioned this as every other auto box Iv'e had the fluid should last at least 50k before it needs changing ,But the lad's at the local dealers insited it needs changing annualy with this gearbox whilst I was over there they pulled up some sevice schedule for the autobox on their system this was only the beging,of last year SO WHO'S WRONG,

You either haven't been stationary long enough for it to select neutral ,or you have a problem with your gearbox as it is supposed to go into neutral