Thread: Moffat's 888 CDTi semi-track car.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Moffat's 888 CDTi semi-track car.

Right so i thought it was about time i did this.

Bought my T8 in March last year (2010) in standard trim, apart from a VXR grille.

The first thing i got round to doing was some carbon fibre wrapping.

Ran out of stuff to do the silver strips on the door cards with, and never bothered to get any more yet.

I was then unsure as to what badge to put on the boot strip.

I had a choice of none...

or the normal 888 sticker...

But then i decided to get a red one made up, to stand out nicely against the black/carbon...

I also put one of these on the bottom trim on the steering wheel.

I then fitted a Whiteline rear anti-roll bar, knowing it was a good move after having one on my GSI. No pics needed as everyone knows what they are.

After getting myself up to Knockhill for a trackday...

...which was fun, and and looking at this picture of Courtenay's VXXR sprint far too often...

... i've decided to go down the same route.
    Seeing as i never really have passengers in the back, plus i'm off to the Nurburgring in june, i found these on ebay.

Mitsubishe Evo 8 seats. I liked them since i had the exact same ones in my GSI 3 years ago.

So, 1 weekend of head scratching and planning, they went in the next weekend. This is how it currently sits...

I'm planning on boarding out the back with some 1/4" ply, covered with some black acoustic carpet, to get rid of the dips where the back seats should be. I want it to be nice and flat from the boot, to behind the front seats.

I've just had a delivery of some gloss black vinyl as i plan to re-wrap all my carbon wraped bits with that. I'll also get round to wrapping the bits i missed last time.

All for now.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, this week saw the dash pulled apart again, and all the carbon vinyl pulled off.

and i wrapped the main dash this time, in gloss black.

Obviously you can't wrap the heater controls, as you'd then have no illumination or icons, and that would be no good. So i decided to leave a silver strip down the centre.

I also had these arrive.

Couple of different sizes of the red as i didnt know where i wanted to put them, but just ended up replacing the one on the bootstrip which i have now done in matt black.

Today i've cleaned the car, and destroyed a clay bar in doing so. This was just off the boot!

This is the indicator surround on.

But i've decided i want them darker, and more subtle, so i'm getting some more made up in the same matt black i have on the boot strip.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Decided to take out the front fog lights and replace them with some cool air ducting to the brakes to help when on track.
    Forgot that i had these 2 pieces of ducting lying around from about 6 years ago, so put them to good use.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Things got held back for a little while after discovering the head was cracked in 2 places.
    Now that it's fixed, and with only a week left before going to the Nurburgring, things were on full steam ahead.
    New pads in, and some tweaks to the brake cooling ducts meant the bumper back off again.

And i got the interior how i want it.

got the idea from a mates Megane R26R

Next stop, the Nurburgring!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For those who are interested

Just realised I never updated this after the Nurburgring.

So, we went to the 'Ring in June. 14 of us, in 7 cars, left Newcastle for Amsterdam.

The drive there was as much fun as being there!

I managed some good laps, my fastest of which being an 8:55 lap. I was very pleased with that.
    A 9:03
    And a 8:55.

The Tailpipe fell off on the faster lap, but I knew where it had fallen off, so we took a walk up the paths up the side of the track, and found it.

Particularly fond of this clip of me passing a Porsche, filmed from one of my mates cars.
    Vid

Awesome trip!
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58
    "you canít help but drive the 888 Astra hard, everywhere, constantly" - Evo Magazine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After the 'Ring was when I had the broken disk happen.

And because of this, the pad fell out!

Cue new disks n pads all round.

Using some very good axle stands.

Next up, was a trip to Knockhill in October. Another wet track day there.

As seen in this vid, a wet Knockhill is a very slippy Knockhill!

The wheels were full of mud, which made the steering shake like mad!
    Once I'd cleaned them out at the jet wash, I was good to go again!

Next step for the car, i'm thinking of doing some colour changing. Mirrors, grille, boot strip, and maybes something else, red!
    And i've just got myself a Go Pro HD, for my next adventure!
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58
    "you canít help but drive the 888 Astra hard, everywhere, constantly" - Evo Magazine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got the precat on the other day. I know it was always going to be fiddly, but I didn't think it would come down to this.

I was doing it from underneath, and was busy taking the heatshield bolts off, when the spanner slipped on the middle one and half chewed the head of it. . I had nothing else that I could get onto it, so ended up taking the whole lot off, so I could hammer a socket on it from the front. I wouldn't care, but as soon as i got the socket on, it wasn't even tight to get off! lol

On a plus side, having the aircon and intercooler swung out the way, and the rad unhooked and puller forwards as far as possible while still attached to the pipes, gave loads more room for working and actually seeing what I was doing.

Followed it up with fitting the rest of it the next day.. Now running a straight through pipe from the turbo, to the back box.
    Thoroughly impressed with the sound of it. From in the car it sounds very VXR-esque.
    Grabbed a quick couple of vids to show the sound. Second one was coming through the Tyne tunnel tonight. Will try and get some better ones though.

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t=Scorpion.mp4
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had a roll of matt black vinyl come last week, so got round to doing a couple of bits for now.
    Did the bonnet and the roof.

Was hard to get a good pic once we were done, as it was raining, and the light was disappearing, so it's a little harder to make out, but I'll get some better pics in the sunlight when I can.
    Going to do the spoiler too, and maybes the grille. Maybes the mirrors too, I'm not sure yet.

Might even do the whole car! Who knows.
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58