Thread: 1.4T or 1.6VVT

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.4T or 1.6VVT

Just when I thought I'd found the car we were having, two weeks down the line Arnold Clark have still not been able to bring in the 1.6VVT that they were sourcing from another branch and I'm starting to get a bit impatient!

We had another offer on the table from another garage for the 1.4T, admittedly the deal was £700 over budget so went for the 1.6 instead.

We haven't signed a binding sale agreement on the 1.6 but just wondered what you guys think we should do.

Do we:

A) be patient and wait for the car come in
    B) go and speak to the 1.4T guy and see if he can get any closer to sway the deal.

Official stats that I can see are:

1.4T
    47mpg
    0-60 8.9
    But insurance is £30 a month more for us

44mpg
    0-60 11.7

Anything else I should consider?

What will the 1.4T be like on motorway journeys, is it going to drink fuel at higher speeds despite the official figures?

Cheers guys.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get the 1.4 T mate. the 1.4 T is a great engine, plenty of get up and go. the 1.6 is a bit asthmatic plus there are mods already avaialble for the 1.4 T.

Tell your 1.4 guys that you and on the verge of buying from another dealer, i`m sure he will budge.
    Irmscher J 1.6 Turbo 0-60 7.2 SECS/ 200 BHP/ 260NM.........SO FAR!!!!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As a 1.4T owner you could say I'm biased. However I did drive the 1.6VVT on the Astra launch day around Millbrook. Around the hill route it struggled and i was down to second gear at times. On the high speed bowl it was fine once up to speed.

The 1.4T has 6 gears so cruises well on the motorway. 80mph is about 2500rpm almost like a diesel. Think the 1.6 only has 5 gears. MPG not too bad but I have come from a 1.9CDTi.

If it was my money I may try and stretch to the 1.4T. Depends on your daily use though
    Astra J 1.4 Turbo Elite In Olympic White- AFL, Bluetooth, 18" alloys, Towing Pack

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My heart is telling me to go for the turbo but my sensible head is saying stick with the 1.6. On usage we do a 50 mile commute per day prob about 10 miles of motorway and the rest is 20mph crawl!

My biggest is job is convincing the wife about the insurance cost. Black and white to her is that it's gonna cost £360 a year more!

I'm gona have another drive of the 1.6 and make sure I am 100% happy with it before I commit, with the fallback of the 1,4T if it doesn't win me over!

I know deep down I want the turbo but I am trying to resist!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.4T if you can afford it.....it's a sweet little engine.
    Whether it's crawling or cruising there's no comparison between the two engines.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mate seriouslty get the 1.4 T else you will be sitting at the lights in your 1.6 and somebody will pull up next to you in the 1.4 t and pull away better and you will kick yourself. I drive 100 mile per day and i`m getting 50MPG when driving normally e.g 70mph. so you get similar results with the 1.4T. Plus you can always get the re-map available from thorney which will give 10% more bhp and torque. With more torque you can drive around in highier gears and lower revs which also saves you money.
    Irmscher J 1.6 Turbo 0-60 7.2 SECS/ 200 BHP/ 260NM.........SO FAR!!!!!!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 1.4T has also Variable Valve Timing. I get from 33 up to 40 mpg with 1.4T. Bear in mind that although it's a turbo, it has wider gear ratio (wider than 1.6T as well) in order to take advantage of it's power for better fuel economy. Turbo engines are more efficient, so you get more from the gasoline you use. It's a heavy car so 1.6 will also drink gasoline a lot. Especially if you want to move fast. Economy comes from moving with torque and not with fewer cubic centimeters. So i will too suggest 1.4T because it gives you the option to move slow and economically or fast.
    Opel Astra J, A14NET, 6 speed manual, Sport edition

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    You've got to weigh things up sensibly. You have a wife, so from that i can take you're not a young lad spunking all his money on booze every night of the week without a care in the world - you'll have different responsibilities & priorities.

So on that note ... can you AFFORD the extra for the 1.4t & be comfortable? If yes, then do it. If not, then the answer is obvious isn't it.

If you ask on an online forum, the general response will always be a performance related one : "get <such & such> it's faster", without thinking about your personal situation. I'm not saying everyone is like that, but most people seem to be.

ATEOTD it's simple to me - if you can afford it & be comfortable then go for it. If not, then don't.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Kev I might not be as old as u may think. I'm 26 and recently married! Having been back to the dealer selling the turbo, they just can't come down to our budget although the deal I'm being offered is very good, so, back to the 1.6 it will be. Just gonna have to be patient and wait for the car to turn up at Arnold Clark now! Thanks for the advice on here though!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it takes any longer try to get a bit more off the price. The new reg will be out soon so it should come down a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast