Thread: R reg Red gsi ecotech help!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

R reg Red gsi ecotech help!

Hi guys,haven't been on here in a long time (since i sold my last mk3)
    I've just bought a r reg ecotech 2.0 with 110k on the clock, its not showroom condition by any means but I wanted one again so I bought one

Paid 200quid for her, with a months tax and 5 months M.O.T (not bad right?)
    Until i say that it needs a new cambelt fitting (kit included with car, my gf's cousin is the cambelt master so this isn't a problem really)

The N/S rear wheel arch is pretty shot and was wondering is anyone knows of a easy-ish way for me to do this (I'm pretty hands on so thats not an issue, I'm not fussed about spraying yet though) Its rusted quite a way up, and i really don't fancy paying body shop prices on a £200 quid car!

The car is lowered 60mm i think, well its slammed anyway!

no alloys, so I was wondering if anyone had any alloys to fit for sale?(not fussed on condition i'll refurb them)

also any one know of any cheap headlamps going too?someones had fun with a hammer on them!

now other than the arch there is one bit that's getting to me, the guy said it has a 2.2 head fitted?is this a good thing? or could it lead to being a pain in the arse?and anyway of me finding out if its really there and not bull poop!

she's a state but im over joyed....i dont know how long for but i am at the minute! Any help would be very very much appreciated!

Thanks Andy!
    Mk3 Sports Dead....Say Hellooooo GSI!
    Astra 1.6 16v sport R.I.P

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a few photos!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looking at the arch it looks pretty bad, You can get arch repair panels, but its also check the inner arch to see how bad that is as it is common for the inner arch to rot out as well. You can pull off the rear interior 1/4 panel cars enough to get a good look inside to see their condition.

2.2 head Id debate that personally although possible, theres no way I know to check, but it could well be that the 2.2 head is just the same as the 2.0 one, given its on and running I doubt youll have any issue tbh, cambelt etc. will just be the standard 2.0 one

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any idea where I could get the repair panels from?I've got an old astra that isn't too rotten(ok its upside down waiting for the scrap) but I thought about cutting a section of that out and welding it in,but that could get messy!

The head was bugging me,but as long as it works I'm not fussed really I guess.

Another thing I've just thought is it torsion bar on the rear?if it is I'm going to have to get some new front springs before i can get it home or I'll rip the bumper off :S

Thanks Dave

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hadrian panels do most sections for the Astra, heres a link to the one you need:

http://hadrian.dominohosting.biz/had...cument&Ret=ALL

Far easier to buy one of them than to try and cut one off another car imo

The rear is a spring and damper setup same as the front.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a pair of mint (no cracks or stone chips) headlamps from my Ph2 1997 Astra Sport for £25 posted.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giles473937 View Post
    I've got a pair of mint (no cracks or stone chips) headlamps from my Ph2 1997 Astra Sport for £25 posted.
    wont be any good as the gsi used phase 1 head lights,here is a link to vxon and there is a pair of headlights at £15 each and they are new http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....stra-Corsa-etc!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solorider View Post
    wont be any good as the gsi used phase 1 head lights,here is a link to vxon and there is a pair of headlights at £15 each and they are new

Interesting - R reg (1997) is def phase2 - my mate's 97 GSi had the same units as mine. As far as the link to Vxon is concerned are they genuine Carello/GM as there are lots of cheaper 'clones' out there manufactured in eastern europe and of lower quality. Also they may be £15 each, but you'll end up paying at least £37.50 as there's £7.50 postage to pay, and there's no mention of whether or not VAT is included.
    Also forgot to mention earlier mine are complete with all bulbs just in case anyone else is interested.

Not being piccy, but you say in the original thread that the N/S rear wheel arch is shot - your photos show the O/S - handy to get it right if you order panels

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giles473937 View Post
    Interesting - R reg (1997) is def phase2 - my mate's 97 GSi had the same units as mine. As far as the link to Vxon is concerned are they genuine Carello/GM as there are lots of cheaper 'clones' out there manufactured in eastern europe and of lower quality. Also they may be £15 each, but you'll end up paying at least £37.50 as there's £7.50 postage to pay, and there's no mention of whether or not VAT is included.
    Also forgot to mention earlier mine are complete with all bulbs just in case anyone else is interested.

Not being piccy, but you say in the original thread that the N/S rear wheel arch is shot - your photos show the O/S - handy to get it right if you order panels
    when vauxhall brought out the gsi on the facelift astra they used the prefacelift headlights as the grille is the same as the prefacelift astra,i used to work in a vauxhall parts dept and it caused us some confusion for a while

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solorider View Post
    when vauxhall brought out the gsi on the facelift astra they used the prefacelift headlights as the grille is the same as the prefacelift astra,i used to work in a vauxhall parts dept and it caused us some confusion for a while
    Apologies - I stand corrected - seems a bit daft to use P1 parts on a P2 unless GM just wanted to use up old stock - my mate bought his second hand so it could be the previous owner changed the grille / lights or it was in an accident.
    Cheers