Thread: My 60 Plate Mk5 and it's trip for a facelift after the Misses Crashed it!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My 60 Plate Mk5 and it's trip for a facelift after the Misses Crashed it!!

As the title says my 60 plate Mk5 1.4 Sport Hatch managed to go through the wars, or was it hell and back, after the misses managed to crash it.

So off to the body repair shop it went to be un-dented, re-sprayed and returned to its former glory.

Had it back for just over a week or so now, they have done a fantastic job and to be honest I couldnít tell it had been in a smash. Anyhoo I was looking over it with a fine tooth comb the other day and noticed that the driverís side door has a 2.2cm in diameter silver bolt/head about 3/4 the way up the door and is on the lip sitting furthest away from the car-body itself. The bolt/head has 'BOESNER 8.8' printed on it.

However, on the passengerís side door (this was the door that took the brunt of the impact) this does not have the same bolt and simply has a black cap.

My question really is should the passengerís side door have the said bolt, as if I remove the cap there is nothing for it to affix too. And if the passengerís side door does require said bolt what is the purpose of said bolt?

I hope my unending wittering makes sense, and if someone would be so kind to check the same model and see if the both doors have this bolt and let me know, then I can stop worrying, pride and joy, you know what itís like!

Many Thanks
    Brad

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    BOESNER is just the manufacturer of the bolt and the 8.8 is the tensility (Strength) of the bolt, 8.8 is the typical strength for a bolt though. As for where the bolt is, not sure where about you are refering to and pics will help. (Oh and its a M14 bolt if it uses the bolt standard)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Drivers Side:

Passanger's Side:

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The driver's side has a load of central locking gubbins that the passenger side doesn't (and the mech to hold the bit you put your key into if the central locking fails). Hence it needs the bolt to hold it in.

The passenger door will have the hole as well because on LHD cars they will need to fit it all into that door.
    ☻☻☻ STAMPEDE CONVERSIONS ☻☻☻

Cruise control and trip computer activation, anti-hijack, diagnostics and LED conversions - West Yorkshire and nationwide

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you very much for your prompt replies and also putting my mind at rest. I think I will finish off where the garage started and finish off the white paint job on the black cap.