Thread: Engine Swap (14XE -> 1.9CDTI)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine Swap (14XE -> 1.9CDTI)

I'm not a regular poster, but AOC members have been extremely helpful in the past, so I'm here again.

I currently have a Astra G (05 Plate) with a 14XE engine, having done 50k miles. My employer has recently relocated me, and pending restructure, I will potentially be doing (for me) a great many miles per year - 20k/pa give or take.

I'm delighted with my car as it is, and don't really want to change it. However, the engine is on the gutless side, and woeful when it comes to fuel economy when hammering down a motorway.

I thought about changing the engine to a 120/150hp 1.9CTDI engine.

Is this possible? Or would it be that much of an expensive ballache that it would be better to chop mine in for a newer car?

TIA for any advice.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ballache I reckon.

I don't know for sure, but I think you'd need engine, gearbox, driveshafts, entire fuel system, engine wiring loom, all electronics including the ecu's for the engine and probably a load of other things.

I'd buy a cdti...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    too much of an epic mate 'just buy one

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    IMO the cdti engine is a hell of a lot better for many reasons, and the 'cabin' in the mk5 is a lot nicer place to be
    Mr Tickle was very excited about marrying Tess...

Tess wasn't too sure of her new name

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    way to much work even if you car was already a diesel you would need a m32 gearbox with 2.0 sri driveshafts to fit getting rare due to all the vxr conversions

then you have the major problem the astra h is canbus and you car isn't so the wiring is well impossible you would need a stand alone engine ecu just to run it.

the engine and gearbox will bolt into the car and plumb up but thats the easy bit i know some1 that got a 1.9 cdti fitted and removed it again so that kinda tells you all you need to know i guess

you can pick a vectra 1.9 up now all be it with alot of miles for around 2-3k just sell yours lol

either way if i was doing that many miles again i would want a company car lol

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

Thanks for the input guys. I thought it would be a biggish job, but didn't realise it would be that big...