Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Add SM Tuning on Facebook

Turbo help...

I need a bit of help guys. Further to my other thread (http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=296438) about my new actuator fitted. I have a problem. I've started a new thread as I believe its more to the point and will get me the answer I'm after.

I had a bit of a problem with my car when I first got it, It was boosting slightly wierd. I went to Vaux and got a new front bcs, changed that, then it felt ok to drive. I then had it rolling roaded the next day, and the guy said to me, it was loosing boost. He said it was the actuator, not closing the waste gate propley. So, I phoned regal and they sent me out a VXR actuator. I then fitted that, Set it up, it shows roughly about 4-5 threads. (Normal I believe). Now I seem to have a kinda the same issue as I started with, its not holding boost. It overboosts to 12 PSI, it holds roughly 8-9 PSI, however when I hit about 3.5-4k revs it drops to about 6 PSI. Then about 5k seems to boost again.

I have read in other threads about there being a famous 4k drop on the ZLET, is this what I'm experiencing?

I also have to add to this thread, just after I got the car I fitted a boost gauge. Since then it has been making a high pitch squeel at about 4.5k onwards. Today I disconnected the boost gauge, and the squeel is still there. Is this turbo on its way out, or is this a leaky pipe guys. Maybe something else? Any help would be great....
    Custom Remapping - Check Out My Facebook Page Below For Details...
    SMTuning Facebook | SM Tuning Website
    Formerly SeanT

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My old ACT made a squeeling noise when the DV pipe T-piece was wrong way around. My DV was plumbed into the FPR which i believe boost guages are aswell?

From what i experienced and what your saying i would say its related to the plumbing around the boost guage/fpr. Have you plumbed everything back in like it was before Boost guage was fitted? I know you said you disconnected the guage but dont say if its completely removed and plumbed in as it used to be. If you havent done that then you should, just to see if the squeel is related goes.
    For free hugs PM me.

For sex, pm cabriomatt.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Yeh, I fitted it back the way it came off. All I done to fit it, was put a T piece directly off the FPR. All I done was removed the T peice to exactly how it was before. I didnt even think about the noise when I first fitted the boost gauge, as I thought it was just the noise of it going through the different piping of the boost gauge..
    Formerly SeanT

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you done the pedal test for codes?
    2003 star silver Astra Gsi - sold

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ribsmoth87 View Post
    have you done the pedal test for codes?
    Ive got a bosch diagnostics machine at work, no error codes atall.
    Formerly SeanT

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im getting this aswell and its really annoying has done it as long as i can remember

someone must know the solution!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I get a squeal when my car hits boost, I'm guessing the bearings in my turbo are a bit dodgy, but that's just guess work. Just suddenly started happening one day and never gone away again! I want to uprate the turbo at some point anyway, so waiting til i've got that done and see how I go. Mine stil boosts ok although i've got the surge hesitate surg bit happening as well all of a sudden!
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/...e/jahadley.png

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Right I'm off work today so I'm gonna start investigating. I'm gonna check over all the pipes and joins, see If I can see any splits. I'm gonna try pressurise the system and see if I can hear any leaks. I'm also gonna try and do the rear bcs bypass, as less pipe will hopefully equal less problems. Failing all of that, I'm gonna whip the precat off and check for play in the turbo.

I shall post back my results later today...
    Formerly SeanT

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe2T View Post
    I get a squeal when my car hits boost, I'm guessing the bearings in my turbo are a bit dodgy, but that's just guess work. Just suddenly started happening one day and never gone away again! I want to uprate the turbo at some point anyway, so waiting til i've got that done and see how I go. Mine stil boosts ok although i've got the surge hesitate surg bit happening as well all of a sudden!
    I had exactly same thing with my old turbo. put a new one and it hasn't done it must be a sign of iminent failure!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I used to get the same noise when letting off the gas (when the DV should fire off) and i tracked that down to a slightly loose clamp on the boost pipe. Meant that when the pressure built up to let the excess gas out of the DV it instead escaped out of the clamp, creating a noise like i have just run over one of those small rat sized dogs. Tightened up and all has been well since. I suppose you may be able to get a similar issue while under constant boost should the pressure be right. Might be worth checking before you go down the route of a new turbo....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast