Thread: MK4 4-stud 264mm rear discs? Anyone done it?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

MK4 4-stud 264mm rear discs? Anyone done it?

I assume you need to re-drill 5-stud 264mm discs, in the same way you need to re-drill 5-stud 308mm front discs to 4-stud...I can also only assume that you'd need rear calipers and carriers from a 5-stud MK4 with 264mm discs (I think they all had this?).

Just thinking as usual

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    u do need to redrill the front discs but not sure bout the rears as i know they did 4 stud rear discs. U will need a lot of stuff to do it. U will need 5 stud rear calipers n carriers , handbrake cable and rear hub backing plates as if ur staying with 4 stud then rear discs are smaller. For front u will need 5 stud stearing knuckles and front calipiers and carriers. U will also need to have sum brake pipeing made at rear and also need all the brake flexi rubber hoses from a disc model. 6 in total. Why dont u go up to 5 stud then and make ur life alot eaiser? Or if not do a 280mm front conversion and 240mm rears as they both come in four stud n save u redrilling new discs.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You've missed the rest of my car

I have 280mm 4-stud up front from OEM 256mm, and 240mm discs at the rear from OEM drums. I didn't need to change any brake lines, add any brake lines etc, and the rear hubs are the same for disc or drum. I have the handbrake cable already fitted and little modification is needed to the Lucas calipers to make this fit.

I was more thinking around things as per usual - I'm looking to ditch my Bosch rear calipers. They've stuck once, sticking now and again from cold in the morning.

I could get some new Lucas calipers/pads/carriers, straight swap. However, I could get some second hand Lucas calipers/carriers but most will be from a 5-stud and hence for 264mm 5-stud discs.

Having recently asked a supplier about re-drilling 5-stud 308mm front discs and getting a rather good quote back, I would be able to buy a 2nd hand full 5-stud conversion setup for the same price or less as the new Lucas calipers, then get some needed new rear discs re-drilled to 4-stud, and some new 308mm front discs re-drilled to 4-stud...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    u will also need to get spigot rings made up if u want to fit 5 stud discs as the centre bore is bigger on the 5 hub then the 4 hub. And u need the 5 stud knuckles as the brake carrier is built into the 4 stud ones but is sep n bolts onto the back of the 5 stud ones.
    Have just done all this on mine and fitted coilovers so know alot about it. Lol.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ahh, good thinking, I forgot about the spigot rings! Makes it all a bit of a faff to be honest - I have 280mm up front already as above, so I have all the hub carrier/caliper carrier stuff fitted.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds fine then. The lucus ones will fit ur 240mm rears as thats wat i was gonna do with mine until i changed it over to 5 stud. Then if u do all u will need is the 5 stud backing plates to. As there bigger. Then shld be a str8 swap if uve changed front knuckles to when u did ur 280 mm conversion

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so all this work for redrilled setup and essentially used calipers which may be as shite as the ones u already have

OR

off the shelf brand new calipers and brackets that will just bolt on in place of ur bosch setup

its a no brainer to me for what would make little to zero difference upgrading to the bigger rear discs. visually u cant really tell and the performance gains will be minimal if any...

then again each to their own

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm just thinking out loud, I forgot about the spigot rings for the 5-stud discs though, worth exploring even if I've found out the hassle isn't worth it

Still, it can be done so it seems

It kind of stemmed from any issues of perhaps buying calipers/carriers listed for 240mm discs but were actually designed for 264mm - would be as cheap to sort 264mm discs than it would to source 2 new carriers.