Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Newby. Rad failure/Auto transmission

Hi there. First post on this forum...

My parents have a Mk5 Astra 1.8 (2007) Elegance Automatic. It over heated the other day and was towed to the local Vauxhall garage. What they have diagnosed is that the cooler pipe which carrys the Automatic transmission oil through the radiator has corroded and leaked oil into the water cooling system, gunging it all up, resulting in the over heat. They have flushed it all out, and replaced the pipe in question, and presented them with a bill for £250 for the trouble, as the car is slightly out of warranty.

This sounds like a ridiculous scenario (and that is coming from an Alfa owner!) I have a few questions....

1) does what they have told my parents sound feasible?
    2) would the loss of oil from the transmission result in premature wear? Or maybe water ingress into the transmission???
    3) Is this a common failure and something which they should go to Vauxhall UK about to get a goodwill payment for the work done? It sounds crazy that a pipe would corrode after only 3 years (and the car is looked after 100% by the Vauxhall dealer, serviced early etc etc etc).

I would really appreciate your thoughts and advice on this.

Many thanks,

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    There are problems that pop up a few times on here regarding auto transmission, yes it's probably correct what there telling you, but from what I've read on here it normally causes problems with the auto box when oil and water mix on them, I have also read that there was a recall on a part on the auto box but not sure what model in the ml5 range, yes get onto Vauxhall as 3 years for a part to last is a bit of a joke!

Andy
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Windrew View Post
    There are problems that pop up a few times on here regarding auto transmission, yes it's probably correct what there telling you, but from what I've read on here it normally causes problems with the auto box when oil and water mix on them, I have also read that there was a recall on a part on the auto box but not sure what model in the ml5 range, yes get onto Vauxhall as 3 years for a part to last is a bit of a joke!

Andy
    Now they are saying that the gearbox needs to be changed. Vauxhall have kindly offered to pay for the radiator, as that was the part that failed, but not the gearbox......

My parents have bought new Astras for the last 15 years, from the same dealer. This will be the last Vauxhall/GM product if not resolved satisfactorily - terrible terrible service.

Does anyone have any names at Vauxhall UK they can contact? They are not getting anywhere with the dealer direct.

Cheers