Thread: X1.7DTL cam timing tool VS 106 discontinued by Sealey

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

X1.7DTL cam timing tool VS 106 discontinued by Sealey

hi new to here .. looking for help.. I have a x1.7dtl engine 8valve low blow diesel .. astra 1.7 LS year 2000. water pump went threw off cambelt and broke 4 rockers .. Have replaced pump, rockers and need to set timing.. Have TDC on crank .. also peg in diesel pump. I cannot buy Seeley VS106 tool to use with dial gauge..m as been discontinued by sealey

Does anyone on here have one ?? To borrow or If you could draw round it .. giving the hole centers I can make one , out of metal plate and weld a nut on it to support dial gauge.

Thanks as I am trying to mend it on a budget.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi phoenix and welcome to the forum,

Hey your lucky there are no bent valves as well.

I have looked into the Sealey VS106 before and think that rather than bother with the dial gauge and plate method it might be easier for you to use one of those camshaft locking plates like the Draper 52578.

It holds the camshaft at TDC and also provides the required counter-hold while you try to do up the new camshaft pulley bolt.

I have seen the Draper tool and the similar Laser tool reasonably cheap on eBay, but got mine through Stockwell tools and had it shipped down here.

Its a thought anyway.

Cheers, Paul

hey I just found exactly the info you require in the form of a PowerPoint doc on my computer. Got it from a fella with a MK4 X17DTL. It shows the layout for a similar, non-Sealey camshaft setting plate. I could email it to you if I had an email address...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for reply Paul ..
    Do you know ..if this works? on the X1.7DTL ... Has anyone used this tool to set camshaft on same model ? .. as the draper tool was made for the Mk1 and 2 models as .. i wondered about that option but no suppliers would say if it would work on the later model .. the plate and dial gauge looks alot harder to do .. if this would work..
    thanks again .. for any help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    We moved house recently and I unpackacked my locking plate a few days ago. It true that I have not yet used it on my MK3 X17DTL but I looked up camshaft details before buying the plate and the camshafts have the same part number.

I mentioned the Draper 52578 locking plate on the MK3 forum and there was agreement by a fellow with the MK3 X17DTL that it was the best tool investment he ever made.

He agreeed that not only does it hold the camshaft at TDC, but it also serves to hold the camshaft while you try to torque the bolt to 75Nm plus 60 degrees. Trying to counterhold the camshaft by using a spanner on the flat is very difficult indeed, even with a helper. The MK4 X17DTL camshaft also appears to be the same again.

I made my own camshaft locking plate using info from the Haynes manual but it was not sufficiently robust for the job. Can't wait to try out the Draper tool but too busy at moment.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Paul .. i have the later haynes manual which doesnt have those details to make that plate .. do you have a copy of the instructions from your haynes book and I could make one just to confirm cam setting and then clamp cam for tightening with another tool I have.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I do have an image file of the page from Haynes manual 1222 that I could email to you, but I can foresee a problem: The simple instructions start with an engine that has the correct timing and the locking plate is then prepared from the camshaft at the correct orientation at cylinder 1 TDC. In your case your cam timing is likely out after the cambelt was thrown off etc then the locking tool can't be made properly. If you know someone else with an X17DTL then you could make the tool using their engine with correct timing, then use the tool on your engine.

Hey just out of interest could you tell me what tool you have for clamping the camshaft?

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its a sealey VS1065 left over from garage days

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    ooo, lucky you. If you already have that, and doubt the effective use of the camshaft locking plate, you may as well use a plate like the Sealey VS106 you asked about and dial gauge approach to resetting timing.

If for some reason you don't want to provide an email address on here for contact then just send me an email and I'll reply with the Powerpoint attachment (about 550kb)

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi its bobandsonja@talktalk.net.
    I just wanted to know if you had used the draper tool on a x1.7dtl to set cam timing .. all i can find outabout that tool is it was designed for earlier model .. but as u say cam is same .. does tool l ne up with all holes after vacume taken off .. or 3 out of 4 ??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as the draper tool is available on ebay ...and would buy if know it will do same job
    dont want to break more bits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast