Thread: Audi / Merc Toss Up

Status
    HID + LED Guru
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Audi / Merc Toss Up

People with previous experiences are ideal here.
    Really anyone with good pros and cons for the following cars.

Audi A5 Sportback 3.0 Diesel Auto Quattro

Mercedes C320 Sport CDI Auto

Even though the A4 would be the equivalent to a C-Class the A5 is considered here due to the fact the A5 just looks better in sportback than typical A4.

Steve
    Astra VXD
    rburgring - 10:55

Scottish Region

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    both very noce cars steve

for you ? or this the old mans new toy ?

you considered the seat exeo ?

its an audi A4 but for the top car with all the toys its a good bit cheaper than the audi
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One of our clients has just picked up a C320 Sport, and can say it is a very nice bit of kit, goes very well, but thats all I can say, but love the A5 Sportback.
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my choice would be the Audi!

Status
    HID + LED Guru
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    na craig this for me this time

it will be my daily run around for motorway crunching as i'll be down south a lot and when i need to come home its an 8 hour drive.

so going for the diesel variant, but we have already got the C220 nice car really like it but still think it lacks that little oommfff you would like from a heavy diesel.

both have outstanding reports on their diesel engines especially the Audi, same engines used to be shared with the Jaguar S-type (2.7 twin turbo) and that was a great engine really quiet too.

Mercedes cant fault them on their built quality, but when i start probing around on the inside you start to see where they have cut corners and that annoys me.

whereas i've never really had a the experiance of an audi but been in many and the interior and exterior quality is great.

I'm looking for something that will be great motorway driver but never loose its sense of fun from door to door.

they are both 5 doors, as i cant get my head round 3 doors... just stupid lol.

the biggest difference that sticks out is the drivetrain, the merc is rear wheel drive and whereas the audi will be the quattro.
    nice and safe in the audi... but will it loose its sense of track day fun?

The car is obv a long term car, so reliability is a must.

The merc i cant fault except some of the munkies at the nearest garage to me are worryingly dim.

As said i have never had the experience with audi so if anyone has had an audi or knows someone who has had an audi for a long time it would be good info.

Steve
    Astra VXD

Scottish Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would seriously consider the Audi over the Mercedes.

The audi had just got so much more about it. The A5 isn't your typical reps car where there are a few c-classes about.

Build quality on the audi far out classes the mercedes.

As for reliability, again audi is far superior to the mercedes. In the 2 years of working for a recovery company we recovered a handful of audis, whereas we recovered countless mercs.

The drivetrain - Think about where quattro made its name, from rallying, which means its going to be a good drive on trackdays.

I'm not slating the merc as its a lovely car (you wouldn't believe it after i wrote what i have) but i would choose audi all day long!

How do i have experience? I used to work for motorpoint (car supermarket) after the recovery company so i sold them both and have experienced them both.

HTH
    Op-Com (Derby), Can travel at extra cost, PM me for details or click HERE

Status
    HID + LED Guru
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good stuff thanks.

Yeah Audi has some good build quality, have you recovered many C-classes? if so what for?

I do like the quattro in the Audi its a good drive, but there is that little kid inside me thats says rear wheel drive. the only other option for the A5 is the front wheel drive.... front wheel drive... might as well keep driving the astra haha.

Steve
    Astra VXD

Scottish Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    AS you menitoned the A4 is the equaivalent to the C class, so off ther bat not a fair comparision. Simply because the A5 is built to compete against a higher end car a la the CLS. So no suprises that you see fewer A5 then C classess and you would expect a better interior quality in the A5 then the C class. Now if you compared like for like (so A5 to say E class or CLS) well nothing in it at all, but do not kid yourself poke around and you will find the cost cutting in the Audi as well

As for track day fun, neither are fun on the track (no suprises neither was built for that in mind and both are Diesel's and automatics to boot) but having said that the C class is more nimble and agile then the A5 despite the A5's quattro setup. The quattro only really tells on say icy/snowy/extremely wet roads. If anything the A5 feels rather lardy on brisk driving (and here I am not talking about the S5 version or anything like that) and it lacks serious amounts of steering feel/feedback thorough the steering wheel. Which is not exactly unexpected given its size and make no mistakes it is larger car then the C class. Bu if you want a better track day weapon look at a BMW 335d or 330d.

As for reliability well lets look at it this way, where is Audi on the JD power list over the last couple of years and where is Merc. That's right Audi sits at the lower end of the scale behind Merc and BMW. The C class was also voted ADAC's most reliable car on German roads for 2009 and 2010 whereas the A5 well not so great with electrical germlins beings its no 1 bug bear and more middle of the road. ADAC for those that do not know are Germany's equivalent of the AA/RAC (although they also test cars for MOT's etc) and they base there figures on the cars they recover day to day and warning issued in mots over a year in Germany (and in Germany brakedowns and MOT cautions failures are logged religeously and reported to the German Transport department)

But going back to your motorway munching both will do a fine job and serve you well, the A5 being the mid sized saloon would probably just about edge it on this, but given the category it sits in being an mid sized executive saloon rather then a junior exec you would expect that.

Still for me though I dislike the look of the Audi (same old same old Audi although like you say it looks better the the A4 by a country mile) so C320CDI blueffciency any day especially the facelifted one due for release next month in the UK.

Status
    HID + LED Guru
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Basil, great input as usual

Is the facelift not already out for the UK?
    I see Mercs with the flatter front end complete with the DRLs on them?
    Or is there another facelift?

Personally never been a fan of the BMWs, dont get me wrong nice race breed and good cars.

As for the data on Audi's reliability :O wow didn't know that.
    Interior touches are a big thing to me as its what i see all the time.

In the merc the now its got most basic stuff so i feel it needs sat nav etc etc, but the is a few things quality wise that shiver my bones.

even in my friends Paul's car, he has the C63 and even though its touched up it still feels like tacky even round the climate controls.

I'm sure it would be a small sacrifice to pay for Mercs reliability.

The auto is a must especially for the stupid amounts of motorway diving i'll be doing and round about rush hours as well.

I think i need to have a test drive of a A5, think that will be the selling point, if its a thrilling drive that knocks my socks off then fair play otherwise i think the merc has the edge.

Steve
    Astra VXD

Scottish Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Steve

No that was a pre-facelift and it was a just a slightly different front bumper to include DRL's.

No this facelift is very extensive and is a complete re-design of the interior and lots of the exterior. It should be on the Merc UK website but as usual the Uk is lagging as they requested the update a bit late, but the new cars start to be delivered in the Uk from next month.

So the offical speel courtesy of MB uk:

The styling has been dramatically enhanced to give the new C-Class even more dynamic lines. Both the Saloon and the Estate have had their looks redefined by newly sculpted front and rear bumpers, a bold new aluminium bonnet, refreshed headlight design and new LED tail lights. All of which makes for a distinctive, arresting statement.

The interior is equally captivating, offering more dynamic yet luxurious touches throughout. The stylish new dashboard is more driver focused and features a larger integrated display screen for audio and navigation functions, including the all new, optional COMAND system (now with internet access and an SD card slot). A newly designed nappa leather steering wheel and new interior trim packages further enhance the dynamic qualities of this car.

The C-Class is also more efficient than ever before. The impressive twin turbo
    C 220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY engine, with manual transmission and start/stop functionality, delivers all the power you need, yet offers remarkably low CO2 emissions (from 117 g/km combined cycle). If an automatic transmission is your choice the all new 7G-Tronic Plus 7-speed gearbox, also featuring start/stop technology, results in class leading CO2 (from 125 g/km combined cycle), an extremely responsive drive whilst still retaining the comfort for which our automatic gearboxes are renowned.

The C350 engine is new and the same as in the CLS so 154 to 164g/co2. Which lets be honest makes a mockery of the Z20 enginew in the Astra and insignia's with there high g/co2 bearing in mind the astra/insignia are 2.0Turbo and the Merc is a 3.5 liter engine and its fuel consumption is 41 MPG. The C350CDI is to be released slightly later but not sure when in the UK but again emissions are low, I cannot remember the exact amount but 145 or 146g/co2 seems to ring a bell so class leading. Milage is combined about 47-48 MPG again extremely good. Performance between the petrol and diesel is nigh on very similar, although the Diesel has more grunt being a diesel.

The S5 3.0 by comparison has the following figures for the 3.0 TDI auto 174 g/co2 and 42.8MPG.

Both the merc and audi when pushed hard fuel comsumption drops like a brick (i.e. on track) with the Audi returning around 22 to 26 MPG and the Merc 29 to 34MPG.

A Merc you never buy a non auto....period. The Audi is fine with both non auto or DSG. Personally I prefer the DSG but like you say and auto is a must.

As for Test driving the A5 yes do that it is a must, but and I know you have driven a C class but drive the facelifted C class as well as it is quite different to the current one. To me it drives significantly better then the old with even better feel and is more BMW 3 series in handling so more dynamic then the older model but at the same time being more comfoy on longer trips. The interior is quite a significant improvement and again needs to be experienced to give a better comparison to the Audi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast