Thread: Astra SRi 150

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra SRi 150

I'm looking at a couple of mk5 Astra SRi's (the 150 model)

Could anybody point me in the right direction as what I should be looking for?
    Obvious things that not everyone may know for example, I know the mk4's need to have the cambelt at 40k and cambelt kit/waterpump etc at 80k.
    Or that the EGR Valve is a common fault

Is there anything I need to be aware of with these diesel models?

Cheers Guys!
    [ My Car ]

You're not here for a long time, You're here for a good time!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cam belt according to Vx is either 80,000 or 100,000. Thier 2 answers Iv had from different garages.

EGR valves are common to fail which can lead to knackered swirl flaps aswell I believe. Altenators can also fail and the biggest concern are the gearboxes. Any strange noises from the gearbox and it could be big bucks to put right.

If I have missed something then im sure others will fill the blanks.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above the EGR can go, I'd advise cleaning them every couple of months and the inlet and that way they will drive more smoothly. I left mine 6 months after first time cleaning and it started to bog down at low rpm until hit the turbo, cleaned EGR and is sweet again. With the 1.9 they need to be booted quite frequantly, if you just toodle about around town all the time then they will clog up quicker. Ive had to change the alternator on mine at about 58k miles, cost about £130 for a refurbed unit.

With these engines I suppose its down to the luck of the draw and how they have been driven. Can get issues with the clutch and Flywheel, especially if people have been given them alot of abuse in first and second gear, puts alot more strain on them. Not had issues with mine as of yet and its on 68k (*touch wood).

Other than that they are great motors, loved every minute of the passed 15 months of owning one. There nippy as standard, even quicker with a tuning box or remap but you also get the benefits of decent mpg compared to a petrol equivalent, look nice with the XP kits and are comfy aswell.