Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Coolant Temperature Sensor

Hi,

I have an Astra 1.4 16 valve. The engine code is X14XE.

Can anyone confirm if this car has only one coolant temperature sensor (the one in the thermostat housing with two wire plug in connector).
    I have been reading other threads which refer to a sensor in the head (or block) on the gearbox side of the engine. However that may not be case on the X14XE engine as I can not locate it on my engine.

thank you.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folks,

any help on this would be much appreciated. Is it possible that temperature gauge, radiator fan and the Engine Management Unit all get their temperature reading from the sensor on the thermostat housing.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, should just be the one sensor with a plastic plug going to it in the thermostat housing, it's signal goes to the coolant control unit, ecu, dash, and fans.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for that.

My car failed the NCT (Equivalent to the UK MOT) on CO emmissions on low idle.
    CO 0.73 vol% . (Anything above 0.50% is a fail)
    I carried out a paperclip test and it showed up codes 0130 (O2 sensor circuit malfunction) and 0115 (Engine coolant temp malfunction).
    It has been suggested to me that the high CO emission on tickover is most likely caused by incorrect temperature sensor causing the ECU to overfuel.

That is why I needed to know which sensor the ECU takes it's temperature reading from.

This car also seems to have the common Astra problem with a low temperature reading on the gauge when driven on open road, rising to nearly midway when in traffic/tickover.

The only doubt in my mind is that the tester said that the car's fan came on when the test was being carried out which would suggest that the engine was at a high temperature. If that was the case, then why would the ECU still be reading a cold engine and be over-fueling

Would anyone have an alternative opinion on that diagnosis ??

The other fault code refers to the top lamda sensor, yet the car easily passed the High Idle test with a CO reading of .09 vol% (anything above .30% vol is a fail) The lamda reading was 1.00.

Any suggestions on a possible cure to the high CO reading on low tickover which will see this car through the test would be most welcome.