Thread: need help fast please please lol

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

need help fast please please lol

hi, just done the head gasket on my 1.7 dti van ( gm engine low blow ) now the cam is at tdc .. but i can get the bottom end into tdc . the cam has the timing mark on ( i know this to be right ) but the bottom end wont turn 360 degrees . when the head was off the bottom end was fine ,
    the bottom end turns freely until almost tdc then if i rotate the other way it nearly goes into tdc but stops. ..... aaahhhhh

whats the cause .... lol
    thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    you have timed the cam up so some of the valves will be open and hense they will foul the pistons as you are trying to turn the crank slowly and very carefully rotate the cam untill you can get the crank to tdc then time the cam hope this helps steve

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i can get the bottom at tdc . . but when i rotate the cam it will still catch , i cant seem to get them both at tdc.if i rotate the cam 90 degrees then the bottom will go to tdc ... but if i rotate the botto end 90 degrees it hits . ... aaaahhhh lol

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    does anyone have a pic of the cam at tdc ? this might help me .

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I wonder if you are or 180 degrees or something..?

Anyway, in the picture at TDC 1st cam (exhaust cam) points to the right (front of car), second cam points to the left. Or if you just measure without dial gauge, the distance from the plane of the top of the camshaft housing to the second cam is approximately 14mm.

The timing tool/plates you can buy hold a dial gauge above the second cam while you make adjustments and measurements (spanner on flat of the camshaft near other end).

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so am i right in thinking that tdc on the crank pulley is the mark pointing strait down??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Yes, that's correct, at TDC the mark on the crank shaft toothed belt drive gear should be pointing straight down to align with the mark on the oil pump.

If starting at TDC cylinder #1 then it requires 2 complete revolutions to get back to TDC cylinder #1.

Draper #52578 camshaft locking plate (or similar Laser tool) is considered very handy for holding the camshaft in the correct orientation at TDC rather than trying to counterhold with a spanner while doing up the new camshaft pulley stretch bolt (assuming you use one)...