Thread: PayPal & it's protection policy - gift/goods, eBay/AOC

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

PayPal & it's protection policy - gift/goods, eBay/AOC

So buyers & sellers get protection on eBay that's a no brainer, whether you like eBay or not, whether a claim has gone your way or not.

Buyers can also get good deals on AOC, as sellers can lower their asking price due to no eBay fees etc.

Too many people don't get their items though through whatever reason.

There was a thread on ways around it recently, with no real solution as such, other than say, collect your item in person.

Which makes me wonder - wtf sort of protection do you get for sending payment via the 'goods' method as opposed to the gift method? I thought you got no protection as you can't link up to it like you can in an eBay dispute for e.g.

I sold an item on a VW Polo board recently & people didn't want to touch the ad when i was asking for payment via gift. They were happy to pay the extra 3.4% to pay as "goods", yet i was wondering what protection they got? If i simply decided not to post, would they have had any come back?

Is it worth it or is it a waste of time?

There's plenty of items i'd like in the classifieds, but they're too far for me to collect & (with the costly items) i don't KNOW any member, so i don't buy the costly items. It'd be different if there was some comeback like eBay.

So what does the goods method offer then? Or is it simply a PayPal pocket liner?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not a pocket liner as the fees are the same whether is sent as goods or as a gift. All info on buyer protection is on their website
    https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/s...ionOffEbay.htm

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post

Too many people don't get their items though through whatever reason.

that is actually not the case, the amount of transactions on here is incredible and its only a few small percentage that turn sour. Please do not label AOC as a place for being ripped off. We are no different to any other forum, or that matter internet shopping experience.

Dont use Gift, follow the guidelines and if its too good to be true, it usually is.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I sold an item on a VW Polo board recently & people didn't want to touch the ad when i was asking for payment via gift. They were happy to pay the extra 3.4% to pay as "goods", yet i was wondering what protection they got? If i simply decided not to post, would they have had any come back?
    They get the same protection as buying of ebay

If you pay by gift you get no protection.

Paying by goods if you don't send it recorded delivery, you are liable for a claim to be made against you, even if you did send it.

HTH

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Not a pocket liner as the fees are the same whether is sent as goods or as a gift. All info on buyer protection is on their website
    https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/s...ionOffEbay.htm
    Are you sure?

If someone sends me payment as a gift, let's say £10, then i get £10.
    If they send via the goods method, i get £10 less PayPal thieving fees, so whatever they are & probably end up with £8/£9 something (obviously bigger the more that is sent).

Quote Originally Posted by MatG View Post
    that is actually not the case, the amount of transactions on here is incredible and its only a few small percentage that turn sour. Please do not label AOC as a place for being ripped off. We are no different to any other forum, or that matter internet shopping experience.

Dont use Gift, follow the guidelines and if its too good to be true, it usually is.
    You misunderstand my post totally.

I'm not implying that AOC is a place to be ripped off. When i say too many, i was meaning even just one is too many imo. If you've bought a £500 item & the seller decides not to send (let's not comment on the stupidity of sending someone £500 for a minute) then that's a pretty big thing, even though it's just one incident (this is an example btw).

As i've not had it happened to me, i can't feel Pd off like those who have had it happened to them, but for those people it'll be a big deal.

But as for ratio, no the good sales:bad sales record will be good, i wasn't trying to say it wasn't.

To set the record straight & to clear any confusion: I was not and am not trying to say AOC is a bad place to buy/sell goods

Quote Originally Posted by LEE69 View Post
    They get the same protection as buying of ebay

If you pay by gift you get no protection.

Paying by goods if you don't send it recorded delivery, you are liable for a claim to be made against you, even if you did send it.
    I'll re-do your post as you seem to have had tourettes with the enter key

So as possibly the only one to answer the question so far (getting the deja vu feeling when that bloke asked about his lenses burning with HIDs) - if you pay by goods then you'll get PayPal protection & the onus is on the seller to send via tracked means? If they don't & you don't receive your item, then THEY'RE (the seller) screwed?

Only reason i ask is the -one- time i've had to go through a PayPal claim/dispute, one of the sections i had to link to the eBay sale. I didn't know if it'd cover non-eBay sales that's all.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You misunderstand my post totally.

I'm not implying that AOC is a place to be ripped off. When i say too many, i was meaning even just one is too many imo. If you've bought a £500 item & the seller decides not to send (let's not comment on the stupidity of sending someone £500 for a minute) then that's a pretty big thing, even though it's just one incident (this is an example btw).

As i've not had it happened to me, i can't feel Pd off like those who have had it happened to them, but for those people it'll be a big deal.

But as for ratio, no the good sales:bad sales record will be good, i wasn't trying to say it wasn't.

To set the record straight & to clear any confusion: I was not and am not trying to say AOC is a bad place to buy/sell goods

thanks, that is better then they way you worded your first post hence my reply
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll re-do your post as you seem to have had tourettes with the enter key
    Sorry, thought i was logged in as you

if you pay by goods then you'll get PayPal protection & the onus is on the seller to send via tracked means? If they don't & you don't receive your item, then THEY'RE (the seller) screwed?
    Yes

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Are you sure?

If someone sends me payment as a gift, let's say £10, then i get £10.
    If they send via the goods method, i get £10 less PayPal thieving fees, so whatever they are & probably end up with £8/£9 something (obviously bigger the more that is sent).
    If you send a payment via goods, the seller pays the fees.
    If you send it via gift, the buyer chooses to either pay the fees themselves, or pass them on to the sell.

The fees are the same either way, its just who pays them that changes.

Only reason i ask is the -one- time i've had to go through a PayPal claim/dispute, one of the sections i had to link to the eBay sale. I didn't know if it'd cover non-eBay sales that's all.
    Did you read the link I posted? That explains buyer protection away from eBay.

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you dont get fees if its a gift. Everyone will get fees if your moving the money from paypal to your bank but no tranasction fees for either person.

If a payment for purchase it is upto the buyer to select to pay fees or pass these to the seller...

And as said payment for purchase has buyer protection as in that link... Gift payments dont so no cover.
    Live in Yorkshire? Click here for meet ups in our area!

Currently driving Arden Blue Zafira GSi..... Not your average people carrier!

If speed scares you, try Windows...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have two paypal accounts, ive regularly sent money from one to the other as gift and not had any money deducted. You dont pay fees for paypal gift. I dont anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast