Thread: Does anyone on here run their own web design buisness ?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone on here run their own web design buisness ?

The reason I ask is because I have a young brother that is struggling to get a sniff of any job in the industry. Every single interview he has went to,the employer wants experience. How do you get this without someone giving you a chance. If anyone in the buisness or know's anyone,could you pass on his website so that they can have a look. I thank you for taking the time to read this.

www.jordanmcquade.com

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well the only thing I can suggest is trying a website called 99 designs. People post what they want doing. People post there entries and the buyer chooses the winner.
    My brother did this and has won a few, and some went on to offer him other jobs in designing other pages.
    Don't know if this helps.
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You basically make the first few websites for next to nothing so you build a nice portfolio once you have a good size portfolio to back up your ability and creativity you get taken more seriously.

Iv seen hes made afew sites but the more the better really!! also for a portfolio site it doesnt show alot of his ability's (just my personal feeling though) or sell himself very well, Im sure there's alot more that can be shown on his portfolio site than what is there already

There is also no mention or example of being able to make sites using word press and other content management systems that alot of people are looking for. Also centering the site on a screen looks alot nicer than having them to the left like has been done on Kaczan Beauty,iphone site and the UWS sites.

Hope this helps im also doing a BSc in a similar area
    Just because it smokes like a taxi doesnt mean it goes like one

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your advice. I will pass these thoughts onto him. Much appreciated.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The portfolio to be honest doesn't look the best. needs more work doing to it to make it look appealing and more professional from which clients might actually think twice.
    as mike666 has mentioned a few points where improvements are required, centering a website makes it look so much better than left aligned, something else he needs to work on.
    Looks like to me his ability to create websites still needs a lot of training, tell him to keep at it. it will eventually pay off