Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the Easiest route to Change Astra H Cdti 1.9 Alternator ??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What is the Easiest route to Change Astra H Cdti 1.9 Alternator ??

Im looking to swap the Alternator out on my Astra H Cdti 1.9 150...

Now there does not look a great deal of room ... or even enough to drop it out through the bottom once it is all unbolted ....

So what is the best / easiest procedure from those who have done this awkward task ??

I did a quick search for info on the job but could not find anything ...

Cheers

Dean

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Although after saying that ... I have now found this

http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/...ad.php?t=83888

This is based on a 1.9 CDTi 16v with Aircon

1. Disconnect the battery +ve terminal (don't wanna be messin with a live alternator)

2. Locate the sprung tensioner on the fan belt and using a 13mm spanner(i think) pull the bolt clockwise (as if u were tightening it) this will loosen the belt enough to let you remove it from the alternator.

3. Next if u look at the alternator there is 1 torx bolt on the belt side (the lower bolt) and 2 torx bolts on the other side.
    3.1. Remove the lower bolt on the alternator(belt side) and the lower of the 2
    bolts on the other side. After removal of those 2 bolts u will simply need
    loosen the last bolt and the alternator will come free.
    3.2. Now that the alternator is free you will need to disconnect the 2 wires on it.
    these are each held on with a bolt and a spring washer.

4. Next we will need to remove the fuel filter (black box in the centre of the engine bay behind the block)
    4.1 Firstly we need to remove the window wipers, simply pop the plastic clips off then undo the bolt holding them on. After the bolt comes off we need to pop the wiper off, they are usually very stiff but a bit of force will get them off.
    4.2 Next we need to remove the scuttle panel. Remove the long rubber seal along the panel (under the bonnet) then with a little bit of force pull upwards (starting at the corners) to pop the little plastic clips off. Then pop off the washer jet hose and it can be removed.
    4.3 Now with that out of the way you will see 2 bolts in behind the fuel filter. remove these and the long metal clip and it should now be free.
    4.4 There are 2 electrical clips on the fuel filter its self these need to be removed (NOT the fuel lines- they remain attached) The fuel lines all need to be taken out of the small plastic clips that run them round the engine.
    4.5 With these removed we lift and turn the filter in a clockwise direction, and flip it up onto the top of the engine (closer to the right hand side now, leaving a gap behind the block where it sat originaly)

5. Now we go back to the alternator we need to turn it on its side with the belt side facing upwards and push it upwards through the gap where the filter was, this is not easy and does require force and twisting and turning but it does fit.

Fitting is the oposite of removal

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    its a crap job mate and a hand cutter on the wiring clips when tryna get it out

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So .. Replaced the alternator tonight .. I had to remove the fuel canister & holder altogether as i could not get it to spin round far enough due to the pipe work ...

Took approx 2.5 Hrs with a bit of Tea in-between

Fired her up afterwards & the output voltage is still similar varying from 12.9v to 13.7v
    The old unit said 14v 105 amp .. The new unit said 14v 140 amp ...

Is the output voltage indeed controlled by the Ecu then ??

You can hold the car at 2k Rpm & the voltage output is showing 13.2v .. The engine tone will then change due to incresed load & the volatge output will jump to 13.7v .. Moments later the engine tone will change again & the output voltage drops back to 13.2v ... I have cross checked the below display with a volt meter .. & the voltages shown & virtually the same..

Im getting at the voltage by holding down the Settings button until it beeps at you & then repeatedly pressing the BC button until you arrive at the below screen

Perhaps there was nothing wrong with the original unit !!!

I only wish i could get an answer on the Ecu control part ......

Cheers
    Dean

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i swear theres an sps update for low alternator charge aswell as the alternator replacement recall

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    there isnt a recall as far as i know.
    maybe sps update tho.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm.

Sps update .... Would i find this out by ringing a Vauxhall dealership ?? Although sometimes they can be next to useless on this sort of information .....

Cheers

Dean

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its a pretty easy job if you have the right tools and if its working you will see between 13.8 and 14.1v.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I like swapping Alternators on Astra's so much that i did the same tonight
    Although all done & dusted in an hour this time ...

I went back to the Motor Factors & told them about the Low Voltage & asked if there was a Technical / Help desk for the supplier , they rang them & told them of the 12.8v to 13.2v & they said ........ "It should be Ok !!"

I was not impressed by that answer & seeing as i told them that when the ALternator was fully loaded it drops sub 13v .. Well, what can you say...

I asked if they have another unit ? They did, So i took that away with the intention of rigging up a bench test prior to fitting to save wasting further time ... In the end , i did not do the Bench test , I just bit the bullet & fitted it .... Fired her up afterwards & ................... 14v straight off

Needless to say , Im much happier with that figure, I only wish i did not have to do Jobs Twice Good practice mind ... Anyone want their Alternator changing ??

Cheers

Dean

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    fair play,just goes to show,some recon units(new) arnt fully operative

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast