Thread: Astra Land-Cruise

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra Land-Cruise

Hi all, planning on doing a sponsored drive for charity soon, probably in the summer, will be going from johnogroats, down to lands end, will be doing the run in aid of "help for heroes" to support all our men out there, if any1 would be willing to join me in this land cruise, please message me as it would be alot more sucsessful if we had a convoy of cars, as there would be more publisity and so on, and it will also help us raise alot more money for them, please inbox me about it if you are interested...
    Thanks
    Liam

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This sounds like those events that will cost more to stage than it will ever raise -

Keighley -> John O'Groats -> Lands End -> to Keighley is gonna be around 1700 miles, so work out the cost of the fuel, preparation, food and accommodation along the way and you're looking at a hefty bill before you set out.

How much will you raise along the way is anyone's guess.. but subtract the above from whatever you make and it's ll knock it down the final tallyconsiderably. Adding another car to the trip and you will ½ overall profit... 4 cars will ¼ the overall profit.

It's an admirable thing to attempt to raise money for any charity, even this one, and I applaud you in that.. but these events are more about making the fund raiser feel good about themselves, than actually helping those it's aimed at.

Best way to help is to stay at home and send the cash you would have spent undertaking this trip direct to the charity concerned

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes that is a good point, i am working on getting us free accommidation with the travel lodge, failing that we could show our real support by going ruff and camping it, it will only be around 3 or 4 nights, also i am working on free petrol for all those involved, and in petrol what is about 300quid, when our men are over there giving their lives for us??.....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you could also try and get some1 local a company or so-on to sponsor your petrol for the event, each person would need around 300quid for petrol, and im 100%sure you all could find someone to sponsor you for the petrol.....

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £300 on petrol? Double it!!

£300 might do the full trip at a steady drive on good trunk roads ad motorways, but you won't get much money in the buckets doing a steady 50-70

You'll need to time/organise the route so you hit as many conurbations as you possible can so you get seen by as many people as possible, and at a slow enough speed to get the money .. which means walking pace or slower. You're looking at between 9am ans 6pm realistically, so you can't do that through the night.

To do it justice you're looking at possibly 7-10 days for the trip. This will obviously push up the donation gathering opportunities, but push up the costs of doing so too.

Believe me... these events sound a good idea, but rarely turn out to do anything close to what the organisers hope.

no comment on the "giving their lives for (the) US" bit, as the thread will go off at it's usual tangent

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    in all honesty then mate but if you aint in support then dont comment and put a dampner on things.....

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liam_sxi View Post
    you could also try and get some1 local a company or so-on to sponsor your petrol for the event, each person would need around 300quid for petrol, and im 100%sure you all could find someone to sponsor you for the petrol.....
    Rather than giving the government £300+ in tax for petrol, why not just send that money straight to the charity of choice?

Have to agree with Geoff and say its a good thought, but better off just sending the money direct.
    Unless you are going to do something big, like bike the journey with some press coverage. It will cost you more than you raise.

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not putting a damper on it,. I'm trying to help you get the maximum return should you go ahead with this trip. I've been involved with other organisations who've attempted to do this type of event, and in every case all those involved have a great time [holiday], and the charity gets a pittance.

BTW I was keeping it practical and realistic .. you brought the emotive statement into the discussion.. I just replied to it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so you plan on driving from A to B to C then back to A again ?

nothing that warrants sponsorship imo unless ive missed something here

driving from place to place just under the banner that "its for charity" ?

id say this is more for your own ego or just cos u fancy a little holiday.... i may be mistaken but at the end of the day each to their own

i would however just scrap the plans and send any donations towards the charity direct,

if however we were talking some major feat of human bravery/mental strength etc then yes maybe a sponsored even could be a goer....for what is essentially just a long drive in the UK ... nah dont think ill be sponsoring this....or the chosen "cause"