Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car veers left - but not an alignment issue?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

car veers left - but not an alignment issue?

Hi all, got a strange problem

Driving my car on a flat road, if I let go of the wheel it will veer to the left. I thought it was just an alignment issue, so I had the wheel alignment done, and it still veers to the left!

I've also noticed, if I turn the wheel right, then let it go it will very quickly turn back to center. However, when turning left then letting go, the wheel very slowly and sluggishly comes back to center, and never returns to dead center. Always slightly to the left.

I was wondering if it could be a caster issue, however it seems Astra's have a fixed caster...?

Any idea's what would cause such a steering problem?? would it be strut top bearings?

Note - I've also noticed the inside of the front wheels are now wearing VERY quickly. I had new tyres put on the car about 2 months ago and now they are almost bald on the inside

Any advice you could give me, or possible area's of where to look would be greatly appreciated!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    They usually wear evenly - if they don't then generally the tracking is out - the camber is fixed as in the suspension struts are set at factory. If these have been replaced then it is possible the camber is out hence your problems.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you lowered your car? if so then that will be the problem.
    Astra SXI - Z20LET, EDS Stage 3.5, Astra VXR Turbo, Astra VXR Injectors, Astra VXR Air Flow, Big Intercooler, Coilovers

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pretty sure car is stock standard, but I will check the suspension struts

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rapid wearing of the inside of the front wheels either means (a) you have excessive toe-out of the front wheels or (b) you have excessive negative camber on the geometry of the front wheel pair. Or (a) and (b) combined!

Most decent 'four wheel tracking' centres will give you a reading of camber and caster angles of the wheels (as well as the toe reading), figures that can be checked against the spec.

If the mountings of the front struts have been altered (or excessively worn), or the car has been lowered without compensating for increased negative camber, obviously you will also get excessive inside tyre wear.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    camber of road,its natural for drainage reasons

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you car has been in a crash or a shunt in its history then that will put the whole car out of line and it wont get any better no matter how much you have your tracking done.
    After a crash car never drive the same.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    >>>>>Tom Clark write>>>If you car has been in a crash or a shunt in its history then that will put the whole car out of line and it wont get any better no matter how much you have your tracking done.

================================================== ==============
    Very true. But a competent four wheel laser track will show up any chassis misalignment from the camber/caster, front/rear wheel alignment readings.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I'm taking the car to a wheel alignment place tomorrow and hoping they give me a proper answer. I'm worried they will just do an alignment and say "all fixed", but the problem will continue. See what happens.

Is it possible that camber / caster can be thrown out just by the suspension struts being bolted in slightly differently? How much play is there in the bolt holes?

car hasn't been lowered, but as for crash history I've got no clue. No obvious signs of big fixes or chassis twisting. Will see what the shop tells me tomorrow.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Possible? Absolutely, in fact this is the most likely place the issue arose from if these have been swapped out. Not sure on play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast