Thread: Sideways!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Down Sideways!!!

I have a 98 1.6 astra that can easily be provoked into going sideways.

Before i had a 95 1.4 that held the road really well, no under steer even when being silly and never any over steer. The newer astra will under steer at moderate speeds and when you lift off the throttle, wham! Over steer.

It seems to only do it under 30mph but is twitchy at higher speeds. It has decent tyres on the front and crap ones to the rear. The cars done 110k miles.

I remember the old car seemed like new when i put new dampers on it, could the problem be with my dampers? I've noticed that the newer astra turns in quicker-then has less grip. Could all this be down to the steering geometry being different?

This may only happen around right hander's. For me there are no left hander's around where you can get away with a spin out.

This problem is really bugging me and is stopping me from taking the long way home or the twisty A roads when i go out, Please help.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i never had this problem with my coupe. has it got under inflated tyres? very little tread on tyres?
    Op-Com (Derby), Can travel at extra cost, PM me for details or click HERE

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tyres are correctly inflated with loads of tread. The way the rear comes out is like you have a flat tyre, thats what i first thought.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Crap tyres to the back as you've said - I'd be inclined to get the camber and tracking checked, did you fit new dampers to the front? If so then the camber could be out hence the steering problems.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your best tyres should always be on the back. You're judging yuro cornering speeds based on the front tyres' grip level and the rear is catching you out, swap em over (or better still get even better tyres!) and you'll notice the diference straight away.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as above.... have the better ones at the back on a FWD car

but better still get some good tyres all round and youll be fine

are u using steel wheels with big balloon tyres?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I put decent tyres on the front because of the problem. My worry is that with better tyres i'll just raise the "limit" of grip and end up losing it at a higher speed. Does anyone know of a place in the south east where you can get the geometry of a car checked?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well youve been advised that the better tyres need to be on the back on a fwd car so we cant say anything else on that subject

out of interest what tyres are u running? are they some super budget ditchfinder brand? some decent rubber would make a massive difference

but it would appear you have your own thoughts and itll take something special for you to believe what youve already been advised

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The car is over ten years old, im wondering if it's been in a crash. It has an MOT but im wondering about the anti roll bars. I havent made up my mind. Just chewing the fat and trying to find out more about this modal of astra. If you drove my old one and then this you'd think vauxhall took a step back when they released this motor.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you're geometry was out you'd have bigger problems than an expected reaction from a car with poor tyres on the back. We really have solved your problem with the tyres, swap them over and see how you go.

If you still have the same problems then you can look at other things, but at least you eliminated the most likely cause.

If you're worried about losing it at higher speeds, then adjust your driving style.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast