Thread: TS Holden Astra 1.8 Cambelt Changes (MK4 Astra to you guys)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

TS Holden Astra 1.8 Cambelt Changes (MK4 Astra to you guys)

G'day I have a 2002 Holden Astra City 1.8.

This is my first post on this site.

I have been reading many confusing stories and getting confusing advice as to when my beloved Astra (which I bought in June of 2010) needs the Cambelt and Tensioner Assembly replaced.

Holden tells me (and the Holden Astra manual says) replace every 60,000km or 4 years.

non-Holden dealer Mechanics tell me 60,000km regardless of age.

My Astra has now done 135,000km as of Feb 2011 and the belt was replaced at 117,011km during 2007. So that must mean, according to Holden, that means I need a new Cambelt and Tensioner assembly at a massive cost.

My question to you all is do I really need it done at 4 years? or could I squeeze out another couple of years? Eve

You see I have had it since June 2010 and have done 5,000km in it. Im expecting to do an average of 8,000km per year of ownership. This will be all predominantly city driving.

The Astra sat doing nothing for two months at the dealer last year whilst it was for sale doing 0kms. How could my Cambelt be wearing out during that time?

When should I get it done? Also is it vital to replace idler pulleys every 8 years or 120,000km? Holden seem to think so but my local mechanic told me its just a money making exercise and at 135,000km theres nothing wrong with them. (never been replaced).

Ive heard stories about water pumps needing replacement at the same time as all the above. Is that really vital to be done evey 4 years too?

Thank you sooo much for your replies.

Regards Aaron
    From down under.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the rubber in the belt breaks down in time as well as in use,plus lack of use can cause the idler gears to settle causing wear when started,so yes there is a very good reason why the belt is has a time/mileage change point,i have seen a few cars with failed cambelts where the car had done well under the advised mileage but had gone over the recommended time,yes i would recommend you change the pump as they can fail with a lot of use

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Shouldn't be too expensive, cambelt kit in the UK is about £80 or less with discount, then fitting is 2 hours labour or less. Water pump is advised because it is cambelt driven - change the belt and it often puts more strain on the pump due to the new tighter belt. Have the water pump fail between cambelt changes means another new cambelt

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    As above really, better to spend some $$$ on timing belt kit, water pump and labour, then have timing belt snap and brake engine Timing belt it's one of the last things in car you want save some money on
    Z18XE - 172BHP

(. Y .)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've always stuck to 40,000 miles/4 years whichever comes first for the belt, usually it's 4 years for me.

Idlers I do every second belt, the bearings start to feel a bit rough compared to a new one by then, and the some have been known to break apart due to age.

Water pump I also only do every second belt, unless it has any detectable play.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So essentially I should replace Cambelt, Tensioner, Idler pulleys & waterpump at the end of the year as it will be 4 years in November. The cost is huge for me because Im not a mechanic, just an enthusiast owner/driver.

The cost is around NZD$800 for Cambelt and Tensioner replacement and includes labour and I would have it done during the service which is jan, meaning the total cost would be well over NZD$1000 which is outrageous. More likely NZD$1500

The idlers have never been replaced on this vehicle as I know the mechanic who used to do all maintenance on the car, he didnt believe there was a need to replace them until you could hear a noise (kind of like a whining noise). I had my Holden dealer inspect them at my last service and he said it sounded ok. Should that really be done too? Seeming its over the age and kms of the owners manual spec?

So my next service will require a new Camblet, Tensioner, Idler Pulleys, Water pump, Pollen filter, fuel filter and all the other usuals. Wow its going to be hugely expensive.

On top of that I wont have my Astra all week because its getting the aircon compressor removed and rebuilt. Further emptying my bank account.

Dont get me wrong, I love Astras so dont think Im complaining about cost of ownership and needy servicing. Im simply looking for advice.

Thank you all.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All I can say is it's up to you, if you can get by when something you haven't replaced goes bang and it costs twice as much to fix than it could have, go ahead and leave it.

Motoring is, apparently, a luxury, so it's gonna cost a few reddies.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive posted in a seperate topic today that I have had an audible noise from the car at motorway speeds but has since gone away. It was like a loud squelling, whine sort of noise.

I have always had a strong smell of coolant and often had to top up coolant, I was thinking waterpump? But on the coolant front it used to leak from the radiator (very small drip) but now it doesnt drip anything and the coolant is often at KALT line when hot. So top up again.