Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Coolant Cap.

Hello,

I've tried searching for the part number for a coolant cap, no joy though.

Just been out to my Astra G 17 dti to drain the water system again, been flushing the sod out for the last cpl of weeks as I think my new oil cooler has gone tits up again and I get a film of oily grey crap in my water bottle.

It's coming cleaner now but today I looked at the rubber seal inside the yellow cap and it has a slight split so I took it out to inspect but now can't get the seal back in as it seems to have grown and won't push back into the cap if you get my drift.

So I'm better getting a new one I think not sure what the part number is tho

Thanks in advance.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's ok I've found new caps on flebay for less than a fiver delivered

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hey maybe your new oil cooler is OK - depends on whether you thoroughly cleaned out the system before installing the new oil cooler. Did you flush with one of those bio-degreaser products? Or some people use several washes with Persil low suds laundry detergent to get the all of the emulsion out of the system.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Paul,

Good to hear from you again.

Yeah I thought about crap still in the system but last year when I replaced the oil cooler after reading up on here I did flush the system a few times before I fitted the new cooler. The coolant in the header tank was ok for a time then the last month I checked the water and there is grey film over the top of the water again

Today I dropped 2 more washing machine tablets into the fresh coolant I will drain and flush again tomorrow see how it is. I'm tempted to wizz the hoses off and pull a rag through them to make sure all the crap is removed.

I need to get this sorted before next month as the new cooler is still under guarentee.......I'm a little disheartened to be honest m8 going out to it every other day and mawling round under neath and re flushing.

The car is running good...no sign of water in the oil or mayo under the oil cap....just this film like stuff hitting my water tank....she don't lose water either.

Tim.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Oh right - sounds like you must have cleaned it out well enough and this is something new. Bummer if the new cooler is leaking so soon, but maybe better if its that rather than early signs HGF!

Our Rover had on-going thin emulsion layer showing in the expansion tank. Went through the same process trying to clean out the cooling system. Pain the arse it was.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hiya Paul thanks pal.

Yeah it would just be my luck to have another go faulty, I'm hoping it is that...No signs of the HG going because I would think it would have gone by now, this problem started just over 12 months back now.

Did you just put up with the Rover m8 with the emulsion in the expansion tank. I think I may just have to put up with mine the way it's going cos like I say she runs fine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    The Rover had slow coolant loss and slow appearance of filmy emulsion for the last couple of years.

I read up on Rover coolant loss on the Rover forum, figured it must be the common intake manifold gasket internal leak. So I replaced the IMG, flushed out the cooling system with repeated Persil treatments, treated with Chemweld (just one of those silicate treatments in the absence of antifreeze), flushed again, filled with nice new coolant mix.

Coolant loss appeared to have stopped but eventually saw the film appearing again. Problem was finally solved using K-seal. Lots of hearsay regarding K-seal, but believe me, for this particular problem which had gone on for years, it worked instantly.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh that's good news pal that you sorted it in the end

If it stays fine this coming Saturday I'm going to try and remove all the water hoses and make sure they are 100% clean then go from there, hoping I'll sort it this weekend then run another week to make sure 100% I've got a faulty oil cooler. I'll post back here Paul and let you know how I get on.

Cheers Buddy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I remember I squished out emulsion from coolant hoses and was going to force a rag through but had some engine degreaser right there handy so sprayed on some of that - I could see the remaining emulsion stuck to the hose immediately "lifted off" and washed away with water flush. Just thought I would mention it. Hoses didn't seem to be effected by it...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the help n tips Paul...I've got 4 litres of paraffin here that I use to degrease my chain on the bandit plus other parts of the bike that gets grease n oil on it, think it's hose friendly to so I'll put some on a old rag and pull it through the hoses. Should be fun this weekend lol.

Tim.