Thread: 34k Service On CDTI (150)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

34k Service On CDTI (150)

Hi, Im looking for a little advice. Basically I have owned my Astra for 4 weeks now & it's great, However when I bought it I was told it had a FSH & had just been serviced but when I picked it up the service book was not present.

I didn't realise until I got home (300 miles away) so I called the garage & they told me they would send it out to me, I still haven't received it so im going to get back onto them but I have a feeling the car has never been serviced as when I checked the oil it was pretty black.

I also think the car had been driven hard as it was a ex company car & had lots of little stone chips around the front bumper / bonnet.

The car is a 08 Astra 3dr 1.9CDTI (150), So really Im looking for advice on...

A) If there's anyway I can check it's been serviced?
    B) What parts should I be checking for wear..ect
    C) Should I do anything to the car or will a Vauxhall service cover it all?

Thanks in advance for any help. Mark

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stone chips around the front of the car probably just means it's spent a lot of time on the motorway - it doesn't necessarily mean the car has been driven hard. Don't worry too much about the oil being black either - it's normal for oil to go black pretty quick in diesel engines.

It sounds like the garage has been a bit economical with the truth! The service book might turn up, but if I were you I'd assume that it won't. On that basis I'd get the car serviced asap. Given the mileage on the car, you're not far off a cambelt change being required (i believe it's every 40k miles on this engine, but someone else will confirm). How many miles do you cover? If it's a fair few, then it would be worth getting the cambelt and water pump changed now along with the main service items (oil + filter, and all filters). it'll cost you a bit, but at least you'll have nothing to worry about for a while.
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, thanks for the advice. I don't really use the car much, I suppose I struggle to do 10K annually. I think you might be right about the garage stretching the truth a little but over all I'm very happy with the car. So you think I should take it for a vauxhall service & change the cambelt & water pump yes. Does anyone know what exactly what they will do in a service? I know they will change the oil, but will they do the air filter..ect, Thanks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It would be worth a second opinion from someone else on here who owns a car with this engine (I don't). However if it was my car (and I do a lot of miles) then yes I'd get the cambelt and water pump changed.

I would get the oil and all filters changed (oil, air, pollen and fuel) and then stick to whatever the standard service intervals are.
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Similar happened to me regarding the service history on mine. Mine had 28k on and got a full major £180 service (recommended every 4yr) as soon as I realised about the history. To be honest I prob won't take it to vaux again, did it really so I could ask them if they had any history with my car. Dunno about cam belt change.
    Red 06 CDTi SRi 150 XP