Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

actuator rattle

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this rattle noise im getting from my actuator.

I had a vxr turbo fitted on my Z20LET less than a month ago and as such the actuator was part and parcel of the new turbo so is brand new.

I have just noticed a rattle sound when the car is gentlry revved or when the revs are dropping down natuarally, have taken the heatshield off and can defo say its coming from the actuator.

it sounds as though the metal rod is a little loose inside the actual actuator, is this a big problem ? i dont mind buying a new actuator but as ive just bought the turbo i dont think i should buy a new one if it is the problem, should be covered by the warrantly, was all bought and fitted at regals.

Pretty sure this isnt supposed to be doing this but wondered if anyone else has had any experience with this.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    what part of the uk are you from ??
    I would say just do up the actuator 1/2 a turn

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Danny,

Im from Heathrow mate,

it looks like the rattle is coming from the part of the actuator between where the 2 nuts are tightened up, im so un-mechanically minded sorry :O(

Status
    SRi Turbo :)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like the problem i had bud! took me ages to work out what was up as i kept undoing it and doing it up tight and stuff, baisicly undo both nuts to let the wastegate flap to move freely and just give it a wiggle, then pull it so its tight, then nip up the nuts, thats how mines sorted lol.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As im almost a mechanical doughnut lol

i dont fully understand what you mean when you say let the wastegate flap and give it a wiggle.

How will i know i have it set back up the way it was originally ? i had a stage one done at the same time i had the vxr fitted and was less than a month ago, got really good bhp and tourque figures too so would be very aprehensive on doing this myself being so unqualified :S

Thanks

Status
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was the same when i bought the car mate, you learn quickly and many things are mechanicly easy just time consuming

baisicly undo both the top and bottom nut so the bit that your screwing too is lose (thats the bit that controlls the wastegate) and pull that up and down with your fingers, pull it up towards the actuater which makes sure the wastegate is as closed as possible, then tighten up the bottom nut first (not too tight to start with) then give the actuator arm a little push with a spanner or something so theres a little tension on the unit, then do up the other nut. make sure both are tightm, job done?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I guess things are only complicated when you dont know what your doing, but a little knowledge and experience can go a long way, ive just found your earlier post with the video sound of what sound your car was making.

Sounds identical to the noise that mines making, and it will only make it when you take your foot of the gas or rev it while its at stand still.

When you explain how to do it, it dosnt sound that complicated, think for my piece of mind though id rather let someone with a tad more experience do it for me

all offers greatly received lol

Status
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea its the same noise mate, i posted a video on here of it a while ago.