Thread: Buggered camshaft.. nice!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Buggered camshaft.. nice!

Well yeah my engine taps.. went on the motorway doing 60-70mph like normal and about 10 miles in, oil light flickering again, this time worse. Any time i put my foot on the throttle it flickers and starts to go more solid.

Pull over on the hard shoulder, wait 15 mins ish, check oil level, level is fine.

Took oil cap off to see, well.. this;

Not the best picture but can you see the tip of the cam lobe? Looks like a line of fresh metal.
    (Right in line with the reflection of the flash that looks like a light bulb)

So yeah long story short, i had to wait 15 mins, got back on the motorway, turned round and it was fine for another 10 miles ish, done the same again. Pulled over side of road.. waited 10 mins, and it got me home.

Seems to be fine on low revs on short journeys. So aslong as i dont sit at 2-3k revs for more than 5 mins its fine.

Anyone know what could have caused this in the first place and led to this? Been tapping since march.

Also, what other parts are most likely damaged, and whats my cheapest option on a fix?

I was thinking new engine

EDIT: On a lighter note, atleast i now know what the tapping is and now know what to fix, well will know what to fix with peoples help Ive been looking some things up and it seems i can replace camshaft (if its just the one) and check why it is worn. Is this a better bet to buying a replacement engine?

I would be willing to pay £400 ish for a fix, any more than that and its kind of going to leave me with alot less than i want really and dont know if the cars worth that..

Opinions on this?
    Current - Celica GT
    Astra - Sold

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmmmm personally not ALL of the camshaft is in contact with the valves/buckets, but the top end of your engine does look dry and as your saying your oil light is flickering and goin more solid is the tapping getting even louder than the norm??

Im gonna point towards your oil pump is on the way out rather than camshaft, if so then complete engine rebuild or reconditioned engine at least as if your oil pump isnt pumping up the oil to the top of your engine it will knacker your piston rings and bores through lack of oil.

Have you got smoke coming out of the exhaust?

Is the engine loud like a bag of spanners knocking around inside?

Nige

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I cant really tell but i think the tapping is a consistent noise which goes up and down with revs.

I have no smoke coming out the exhaust at all and its quite loud and noticeable when outside the car but not like spanners are knocking around, just like a tapping sound like someone knocking on plastic.
    Current - Celica GT
    Astra - Sold

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Bad picture but looks pretty OK to me - if the oil pressure is bad then the hydraulic lifters won't be pumping up sufficiently and will end up tapping on the cam lobes. Bad for the lifters and cams long term, so I'd be getting the engine checked out ASAP.

If oil pressure is really bad then I guess the lifters could gradually reduce in length and cause running issues.

Nothing closer up, sorry, but after 156k my top end was as clean as a whistle, yours looks a little mucky in general:

I'll see if I have the full-res image tonight and check the cam lobes.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How much would i be looking at for a head rebuild and oil pump?
    Current - Celica GT
    Astra - Sold