Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After fitting big brakes to front what do people do with the back?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

After fitting big brakes to front what do people do with the back?

Basically bought the front brembo's that were advertised on here a couple of weeks ago (in red).
    When people have fitted the upgraded calipers/brake kits to the front, what do you do with the back?

Have people just painted them to match?
    Leave them standard?
    Can you put the front set up on the back so they are essentially bigger then paint the calipers to match?

I like the idea of moving the front set up to the back so they look bigger and should improve braking at the back. Have people done this, if so whats involved?

Thanks in advance for any replys guys!
    Astra 888 - No 43, 3" Piper, 1.9 Box, Collins DV, Iridiums, Roose Hoses, Pace FMIC, Brembo 4 Pots, TT K06, Courts LW FW, Helix Clutch, Courts Stage 4 + more - Next - Courts I/L mani & LSD

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how would the front setup be used on the rear when the rear handles not just the brakes but the handbrake also?

This would be interesting as im gettin brembos too.
    So Far ZLEH, M32, FMIC, Top Hat, CDTi box, Thermobolic intake gasket, De cat, alloy rad, GSi bumper, Coilovers not long off a map now lol

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the back never really needs more braking force because when a cars braking the rear lifts, therfor mor likly to lock due to less weight,
    so bigger is pointless really.
    Honda civic type R ek9

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    be carefull swapping backs out as more power to the back can you see you swapping ends when braking hard from high speeds.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah that thing in the middle of my front seats - the hand brake, forgot about that lol
    Yes a fair point about the back lifting up! I already have drilled and grooved disc's with green stuff pads on the back so no more braking is needed - this still leaves me with a nice shiney brembo set up on the front and crap OE small calipers on the back.

I suppose all I can do is either leave the caliper standard or paint it. Its just I have never really been a big fan of painted calipers but I don't like the idea of a nice big set up at the front and nothing at the back - for looks more than any thing.
    Astra 888 - No 43, 3" Piper, 1.9 Box, Collins DV, Iridiums, Roose Hoses, Pace FMIC, Brembo 4 Pots, TT K06, Courts LW FW, Helix Clutch, Courts Stage 4 + more - Next - Courts I/L mani & LSD

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Drives a 53 plate Arden Blue Zafira A Gsi 2ltr turbo...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the link and thats an option to consider but if I am honest:

Its to expensive considering I am just bothered about looks.
    I will not have 322mm disc's on front as I am only upgrading calipers.
    They come in blue and my brembo's are red.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    on the 888 i never bothered as the vxr front setup gave me the stopping force it needed

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Upgrading the backs is waste of money. It's for looks more than braking

A car travelling at a given speed will have X amount of kinetic energy, and when you brake the kinetic energy gets converted to heat by the brakes (via friction). A large part of the braking is done by the front.. lets say this is 80% front and 20% on the back.

Now if you upgrade the front so they are 10 % more efficient, the car travelling at the same given speed will still have X amount of kinetic energy, but now the split will be 88% on the front and 12% on the rear

See what's happened ? By improving the braking on the front, you are actually asking less of the rear. ON non abs cars this can upset the brake bias, but this isn't so much a factor on modern cars as the ABS will sort out the bias.

A better way to deal with the back brakes after upgrading is fit better pads and fluid that will handle the (increased) generated heat from repeated applications better.

Science!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes agree with what you have said and that pretty much sums up this thread.
    On the back I already have drilled and grooved disc's with green stuff pads.
    So just need to decide if I paint the calipers or not!

When fitting the brakes (front brembos), whats the best up graded brake fluid to use? I know red dot is used for bikes as a good up grade but never really experimented on my cars with up graded brakes or fluid so any advice on this would be apprechiated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast