Thread: In reality would a car battery ever show a state of fully Charged ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In reality would a car battery ever show a state of fully Charged ?

When testing Car batteries, I have yet to see one that display's "Fully Charged" on the Tester ...

With Todays vehicles being a high drain on Alternators due to most things now being electric (Power Steering now included) & most battery/charging issue's being apparent in winter (Dark Mornings/Nights, Head lights, Heaters, De-Misters) would a battery ever really show a state of fully Charged ? (This is assuming of course the alternator is outputting + 13 Volts) & could indeed the load on your Alternator = it's output, so the battery does only get Recharged more slowly...

Perhaps come summer time, when less electrical items are used lessoning the loads or when a long daytime journey has been completed with less electrical components used...

Short journeys really do have to be the Killers, Especially for Diesels.. Glow Plugs .. Immense cranking Power required to turn the engine over, Fuel Pump Etc Etc.

In the main, Car battery technology has not really changed but the loads put upon them have ....

What are your thoughts ?.

Cheers
    Dean

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A car alternator is not able to charge more than 80% of the battery's full capacity.

You can charge a battery fully up, but it takes time. Charging a battery from 0-80% normally takes a few hours - depending on the charger and battery respectively.
    The charging curve is logarithmic which in other words means; charging it from 80 to 100% takes more time..

I'd advise people to get a battery charger (CTEK has some good ones) and just charge the battery for a night (or two - wouldn't hurt) so that the battery topped up when you need it
    Daily driver: =The Linea Oro - Gold Line Coupe=
    Summer drive: '05 Speedster Turbo - Build number 4798
    Got a turbo in my life - now I'm broke

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linea Oro View Post
    A car alternator is not able to charge more than 80% of the battery's full capacity.

You can charge a battery fully up, but it takes time. Charging a battery from 0-80% normally takes a few hours - depending on the charger and battery respectively.
    The charging curve is logarithmic which in other words means; charging it from 80 to 100% takes more time..

I'd advise people to get a battery charger (CTEK has some good ones) and just charge the battery for a night (or two - wouldn't hurt) so that the battery topped up when you need it
    Cheers for that

Dean