Thread: Smoke

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smoke

Hi all got a 8v mk 4 and it smokes quite alot its like white smoke it smokes when upto temp aswell but not as bad also iv noticed its burning quite a bit of oil, headgasket is ok had it checked out anything i can do to treat this or any ideas what it could be?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Smile White smoke

Quote Originally Posted by markkwrightt View Post
    Hi all got a 8v mk 4 and it smokes quite alot its like white smoke it smokes when upto temp aswell but not as bad also iv noticed its burning quite a bit of oil, headgasket is ok had it checked out anything i can do to treat this or any ideas what it could be?

White smoke is normally a steam/condensation issue.If it decreases as it gets hotter,then this is condensation droplets in the exhaust system being burnt off. Although in "colder" weather (.which we have had a lot of recently)the normal water droplets coming out the exhaust show up the same way.If it persists,and gets worse, then it points to a Head Gasket issue,but this would also show up in the loss of water/coolant in the system,and have the need to top up. The oil usage / burning is a seperate issue that will need to be looked at,before it starts fouling up your plugs.and other problems.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if its burning alot of oil it b valve steam oil seals m8 or even worse pistion rings

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would of said piston rings.

you had the head gasket tested which test?

as far as im awair there are 2 main ones

(1) sniffer (tests for c02 in water)
    (2) compresion tester (tests compresion)

now i had alot of smoke out of my zafiras engine untill i replaced it. I tested it with the both tests, both came back as good so i stripped it down and found out that the piston rings were leaving streakes of oil in the bores which then was burning and causing smoke..