Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online car brake reaction time test - how far do you travel?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Online car brake reaction time test - how far do you travel?

How fast are your reactions? Just been browsing braided brake lines and found the following site from HEL (via Camskill website):

http://helperformance.com/extra/reaction-timer.php

Interesting facts if nothing else, proves why you need to be so far behind the car in front at all times - at 70mph, on average you travel 15.5 metres in the 0.5 seconds it takes you to react and hit the brake pedal. That's 3-4 car lengths!

So, fun and serious all at the same time!

I averaged 0.4154 seconds with a best score of 0.375 seconds. This drops me to 12.5 metres or so, a car length saved in my stopping distance from 70mhp

How do you fare? All those who think they are safe tailgating, think again!

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Averaged 0.381, best time of 0.34

Not realistic tho as you don't stop a car with a mouse click.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    0.328 average
    best time 0.281

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Darn good site from HEL to be honest, lots of information relating to brakes! Didn't know Dot5.1 doesn't absorb water which, in ways, is bad for road cars as the water stays in the system unless you change the fluid frequently.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    Averaged 0.381, best time of 0.34

Not realistic tho as you don't stop a car with a mouse click.
    Lol fair point, however reaction time in general should reflect braking reaction times

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Real world situations will involve things like speed of mental info processing too.

In this test you know exactly what will happen, roughly when it will and what you need to when it does.. So in a way you're primed ready to twitch your finger when your brain detects the trigger.

You're not so lucky in real life, in reality you have little warning of the car in front slamming on, and then your brain has a 'WTF moment' where it has to proceed the info, decide what it means, what to do and then act on it. However if you if you had all the info coming at you in a similar fashion to the above, then you've have stopped long before the hazard occured, as you knew in advance it was gonna happen .

I had something like this on a driving assessment for work, and after discussing the the obvious flaws of this sort of thing with the examiner they agreed it was all bollocks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well if your relying on reaction alone then you better think again before driving lol ideally you should check well ahead and see if there might be something that might cause everyone directly in front to brake

P.s
    My itouch is annoying the hell out of me so if anything doesn't seem to makes sense you know why
    >>Diary<< Status: ...........Slow and Steady.... may update more often...
    Last Updated: 27/10/2014

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    0.3098 Average
    0.265 Best
    1.549 Total

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    "Institute of Advanced Motorists - 2003 Cumbrian Associate of the year", I'm probably overly aware of observation being more than important when driving

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    Real world situations will involve things like speed of mental info processing too.

In this test you know exactly what will happen, roughly when it will and what you need to when it does.. So in a way you're primed ready to twitch your finger when your brain detects the trigger.

You're not so lucky in real life, in reality you have little warning of the car in front slamming on, and then your brain has a 'WTF moment' where it has to proceed the info, decide what it means, what to do and then act on it. However if you if you had all the info coming at you in a similar fashion to the above, then you've have stopped long before the hazard occured, as you knew in advance it was gonna happen .

I had something like this on a driving assessment for work, and after discussing the the obvious flaws of this sort of thing with the examiner they agreed it was all bollocks.
    Agree, however you can in ways 'train' to react quicker to unexpected occurences but that's possibly off topic and I may come over ever so slightly sad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast