Thread: coilover problem arghh!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

coilover problem arghh!!

hi as posted before i have fks on my car now and when i turn my wheel both ways it makes loads of clunky noises i hav put bearings in also the top mounts move when i turn, when i go in a straight line i have to hold my wheel to the left quite abit and if i put a full lock on i have to hold it to the right to keep it straight any ideas what it could be? use car for work and scared to take it past 40 on a19 lol.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I take it you have the twin spring versions? The clunking noise is the bottom spring moving against its self, as its permanently under load and squashed. I used to have some Ta-Technics coilovers on my Astra which are made at the same factory as yours (and Jamex) and it was the worst modification I ever did. My car used to pull to the left with them on to but I think it was the knackered roads and the combination of a 80mm drop. The ride was terrible to, and I was forever crashing through pot holes so now I've got a Mk5 I just fitted lowering springs. This was the best decision I have made on my car as the ride is a little firmer, its not crashing through potholes, I can turn in without it scraping the wheel arch liners and there is no clunking noise. Btw after 6 Months of fitting you will fit it very hard to adjust your coilovers as the threads will be to badly corroded.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah thats rite mate its 2 parts of the springs, is there any way i can sort this i only changed from my 40mm springs becasue i had loads of body roll lol.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markkwrightt View Post
    yeah thats rite mate its 2 parts of the springs, is there any way i can sort this i only changed from my 40mm springs becasue i had loads of body roll lol.
    The only way you will sort it out is by taking them off as its a design issue. You are going to have to try and live with them or put your 40mm springs back on with uprated shocks.

Status
    BUYER BEWARE - WE ADVISE CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can take the helper spring out, its only there to keep the other spring in place when jacking up and if you go down a bit pothole, that will sort some of the clunking out, and you don't have to go back to old springs/shocks

also sounds like you need your tracking/alignment sorting, this should always be done when fitting lowering springs/coilovers