Thread: x20xev cam position/cam shaft sensor

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

x20xev cam position/cam shaft sensor

okay decided with funds being tight and me using the car alot more often im gonna change my cam position sensor as its giving me a bit of jip however i went to remove it following this guide on another site http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....XEV-2.0-Vectra

If you skip straight to step 28 which is where i got to it says the sensor should pull freely from the top of the engine but mine will not pull freely. It looks like i would need to remove all the belts and cogs covering the sensor, is this the case with this engine or am i being a moron and it should actually pull freely out. Also this is probably a very stupid question but im gonna ask anyway as you never know, obviously i could get the old one out by cutting a piece of it off however would the new one still function properly if i cut a small piece off to allow it to go into the top of the engine?

Exact moodel is a 99(V) astra sri 2.0 3 door

Thanks as always guys

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    It can be fiddly to gett he sensor out, but after a bit of movement it will come free.

Your other option is to remove the monting stud that holds the sensor in place and secures the timing belt cover. Be carefull when replaceing it not to over tighten.
    Its only job is to position the sensor and provide a mounting thread for securing the timing belt cover.

As I mentioned above, you should be able to do it without removing the stud, but if you are struggling its the easiest option.

Off topic, I have sent you a PM abotu some performance parts I ahve available. let me know if your interested.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    superb i'll have another go at it just now.

thanks again

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Okay more problems, Finally got the part out and realised my new one doesnt fit, it looks similar but the connectors are all wrong and its slightly shorter this is the part i have to replace it http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Va...3e6321b42&CSHS

howevver the part that came off looks more like this one http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Va...bce9c0e0f&ENSE

other than the connectors whats the difference and if they are both for my engine whhere the hell does each one go as i might aswell replace it since ive got the new part. I was under the impression the cam position sensor sits behind the timing belt pulleys but it looks more like a crankshaft sensor even the guide i was following said cam position sensor.