Thread: Car feels like it's being pulled back :(

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Car feels like it's being pulled back :(

Something strange has been happening to my car over the past few weeks. No matter what speed or in what gear I'm travelling at, it feels like it's being pulled back, just like engine braking down a hill. It looses a bit of speed and when I go to put the gas back on the whole car jerks forward, same for when I ease off the gas. Now I have a sneaky suspicion that I have warped discs/drums, could they be the cause, maybe they're 'catching' the pads and causing friction?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what model astra have you got? if you have rear bosch calipers, they have a habit of sticking a bit. jack your car up and spin the rear wheels with the hand brake off. if theyre rubbing at all, you will soon see them stop spinning. only thing i can think of with the jerkyness is either a dirty throttle body, or if you have an egr valve it could be time to replace it.

any fault codes on the dash?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benhavenhand19 View Post
    what model astra have you got? if you have rear bosch calipers, they have a habit of sticking a bit. jack your car up and spin the rear wheels with the hand brake off. if theyre rubbing at all, you will soon see them stop spinning. only thing i can think of with the jerkyness is either a dirty throttle body, or if you have an egr valve it could be time to replace it.

any fault codes on the dash?
    I drive a 1.6i sxi 16v mk4 astra, no fault codes at all. I had the throttle body cleaned out when I had a new crankshaft sensor replaced about 10k miles ago. I had a new egr about 40k ago, how long do they usually go for?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    depends how much driving you do really. 1 guy i know that has the same car hasnt changed anything at all on his car and has had it since new in 2003. my mums corsa with the 1.2 16v ecotec engine has had 2 egr (delphi ones) in 15k miles.

possible that it could be your exhaust is blocked slightly? maybe the cat breaking up? unfortunately mate with no fault codes, it could be a number of things causing the issues. definately worth checking that your rear wheels are spinning freely.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check sparkplugs ^.^
    Active - Ultra Blue 1.8 SRI 53' 3 Dr,
    Retired - Black 1.6 SXi 03' 3 Dr, Silver 1.4LS

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Any management lights lit on the dash? Sticking/stuck EGR valve can cause these exact symptoms and is common to fail on your engine (and mine, same one!).

Cheapest check if £3 for a blanking plate from eBay - 2 bolts/5 mins to fit, it'll work or not and either way it's a cheap check.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My car was jerking and holding back i checked fuel pressure at the rail and was low so pined it down to the fuel pressure regulator easy enough to change mines a 1.8 16v so may be different to yours i think yours is on the fuel rail

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Any management lights lit on the dash? Sticking/stuck EGR valve can cause these exact symptoms and is common to fail on your engine (and mine, same one!).

Cheapest check if £3 for a blanking plate from eBay - 2 bolts/5 mins to fit, it'll work or not and either way it's a cheap check.

No management lights at all, would a faulty egr valve register on an OBD/Tech2 test or whatever it's called? I know a guy who will do it for £20

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benhavenhand19 View Post
    depends how much driving you do really. 1 guy i know that has the same car hasnt changed anything at all on his car and has had it since new in 2003. my mums corsa with the 1.2 16v ecotec engine has had 2 egr (delphi ones) in 15k miles.

possible that it could be your exhaust is blocked slightly? maybe the cat breaking up? unfortunately mate with no fault codes, it could be a number of things causing the issues. definately worth checking that your rear wheels are spinning freely.
    Ha, just noticed your in Plymouth...me too. Fancy checking the car over for a few pennies and a pint lol