AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter

Where to mount an amp?

Have had the sub and amp in a week now.

When we put it all in, we tried putting screws into the back of the seat without drilling to secure the amp, but didn't succeed. Reverted the velcro'ing it to the seat instead using heavy duty stuff. The fabric on the back of the seat wasn't taught, so used the sub box to hold it flush, with the velcro holding it in place.

Noticed this morning the amp had dropped off the seat as the velcro hadn't stuck. Have now moved it to sit on the floor for now until I can get something sorted which is a little more permanent.

What do people on here suggest/recommend for fitting the amp and where to fit it?

This is what I have in the boot now as it is, obviously with the amp on the floor to the right of the sub box.

Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im installing my whole sub and amp at the moment as well, and I know I'm having the same problem, only mine is a twin sub, so the box practically takes up the whole boot,..and there isnt really no where that you can mount the amp without putting holes anywhere..
    you could fabricate an enclosure for the amp to fit into..and thats A way of how you could place the amp..baring in mind you have the space! lol..I know i'm screwed so i may just drill holes(which I dont really want to)..but for amp placement, other then tearing out the spacesaver compartment and placing it in there, there isnt a lot of ways that you could mount the amp..although having the space you have, I would make a triangular box like L\ <-- and mount it there..so the amps at a slant though you would compromise boot space.

Last option is mount it on the box itself, though you would want to make sure where the holes are, would mount exactly on the MDF edges, otherwise you would need to reinforce the screw hole areas underneath.

HTH
    Astra 1.6 SXI

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Why not screw it to the sub box and get some quick release connectors for the power and earth? I did this in my old MK3 so when needed I could get the whole boot space back again

Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    I assume its ok to do so then Andy?

Read online something about the vibrations from the sub in the box can damage the amp? True or not?

I suppose though it makes no difference though seeing as in the picture above the box is holding the amp in place. Now its come off the amp is just laying on the floor in the boot next to the sub box using velcro.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Well, have now got the Pheonix Gold stuff ready to go in tomorrow, amp is screwed to the back of the sub box, so will purchase one of these quick release things to remove it all if need be.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Alreet mate.

I would never recommend mounting amps to the back of rear seats. This is because the amp would then sit over-inverted. 99% of amps rely on air convection to keep them cool - heat from the core is dissipated thru the heat sink fins into the outside world via air flowing over the fins. If the amp is mounted over-inverted, as hot air rises, the heat it's trying to get rid of will actually be flowing back into the amp causing serious risk of overheating/damage/fire.

Similarly, don't mount the amp on the back of your box, if anywhere mount it in the side. Again it needs air flow around it and if it's on the back against the seats it will dangerously overheat.

I've seen article about not mounting amps direct to boxes but I had one mounted to my box in my old focus for years without problem. I also have 2 mounted to the top of a custom install without probs.

Hope u get it sorted - but seriously get that amp moved before u smoke ur baby.

Mark.
    Astra H 1.9TDCi 16v SRi XP Sporthatch
    Complete ICE upgrade with custom boot install
    Cruise Control, Interior Door Handle Illumination

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    It has been moved now. Its screwed to the back of the box with about an inch between the box and the seat to allow air to circulate as suggested. Theres enough space between the amp and the seat for me to be able to get my hand between the 2 of them.